Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my X goes in thursday for tranny diagnose, ive noticed in any given gear i can rotate my shifter in a 5in circle(at least). turns out my fvckin shifter is broke. im a lil pissed plus from the way the service manager was talking to me on the phone i think he thinks im footin the bill

if they give me the ole run around one of my customers at work is a toyota sales manager. he told me what to say if i have to call toyota

just venting i guess, btw did anyone else have a shifter break??

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
how in the hell did the shifter break...did you actually pull it out and see this..or is this them just trying to make something up

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have seen one other on do that on an 06 prerunner. 12000 miles on it and the guy burned the entire clutch up. Had to put a new flywheel, clutch, release bearing, shifter seat and bushing. Talk about abuse.:looney:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just had same truck in again last week. Has 18000 miles on it now and already messed up the release bearing, clutch cover and the shifter seat again. Some people need to be walking.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
BRB GTG PP said:
Is it because the URD put so much stress on the rubber bushing?

When I took mine out, I noticed it was kind of all smashed up and compressed compared to pics I have seen on here.

Decreased leverage = more force exerted on that bushing.
same would apply to the TRD unit. my buddy has a blue xr (sometimes is on CT) with no SS. his rubber is loose and warn out, and i think mine is pretty gummy too. he is not any better or worse than mine, which has had a ss in it for almost two years.

·
www.LiquidAss.com
3,345 Posts
inny said:
thats it, thats what mine does lol
That looks like it's right where that "This is because the other designs replace the entire shift lever. The stock shifter is really two parts bonded together with a rubber-like material. This deadens sound as well as vibration. It was clear that we wanted to retain this very important feature" part.

My TRD unit didn't have the rubber there, and it has a more connected and direct feeling to it, as well as less vibrations.

·
Animal Mother
4,162 Posts
I dont thnk the problem was with the URD shifter.
URD has sold a lot of these units .....
With only a few people having this shifter problem, I would assume it is a factory defect.
I have had the short shifter since a month after I got the truck... I dog the hell out of mine and my shifter is nice and tight.

·
Tacorpulent HP
2,306 Posts
no the joint in the shifter comes loose. Here's what i did, i exposed the shift lever, and if you look under you can wiggle the shifter and see where it is wiggling. I just took 4 pieces of painters tap and folded them into wedges. Then, i shoved them in the spots that allows the lever to wiggle, super glued them in place, then taped under and around in case they come loose so they dont fall out of place. Fixed the problem completely.

ps: mine wasnt as extreme as that one. Mine was about half of that.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Xacto said:
no the joint in the shifter comes loose. Here's what i did, i exposed the shift lever, and if you look under you can wiggle the shifter and see where it is wiggling. I just took 4 pieces of painters tap and folded them into wedges. Then, i shoved them in the spots that allows the lever to wiggle, super glued them in place, then taped under and around in case they come loose so they dont fall out of place. Fixed the problem completely.

ps: mine wasnt as extreme as that one. Mine was about half of that.
mine was half that as well, just all the sudden got worse last sat.

·
www.LiquidAss.com
3,345 Posts
XRobber said:
I dont thnk the problem was with the URD shifter.
URD has sold a lot of these units .....
With only a few people having this shifter problem, I would assume it is a factory defect.
I have had the short shifter since a month after I got the truck... I dog the hell out of mine and my shifter is nice and tight.
That is my point. They keep the stock lever. My rubber was pretty much flattened out and had a lot of play in it.

Once you decrease leverage (which SS'ers do) you have to increase the force needed to move it. More force on that rubber will take it's toll.

I am driving he same with the TRD as when I had the URD, and I have no excess play.

·
Registered
201 Posts
No. Its the factory shifter. The same truck I just did all the clutch work has the same problem and he has a stock shifter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts