Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i bought a momo steering wheel and im wondering how to go about wiring the horn correctly, all i need is that info which wire is ground and which is positive. im sure its more intricate than that. :shrug:

· Mambeau / Admin
48,299 Posts
Actually, it appears to be simpler than that ... Attached is the 2001 FSM Wiring Manual diagram for the horn circuit ...

Attachments

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i appreciate the diagram but im not to keen on that stuff, u think i can get a illustration. or detailed instructions, cuz basically its a neg and pos wire right.

· Mambeau / Admin
48,299 Posts
As near as I can tell, the OEM horn switch grounds to some local structure (the steering column maybe?) with no special wire involved. The red-on-green wire is the positive going to post 13 on the Body ECU. If you don't see any separate ground wire coming out of your OEM horn switch, I'd suggest test-grounding the MOMO ground wire to some metal component of the steering column (around the horn switch mount) and see if the circuit works that way.

Otherwise, look for a black & white (black stripe on white wire, per the 2001 Wiring Manual) wire coming off the combination switch (signals / wiper controls) on the steering column. This should lead to a grounding point on the inner side of the driver's side front door post (vertical structural member forward of the door - where the door hinges connect). This appears to be the OEM ground point for the combo switch *and* the Body ECU (the only things the horn switch can ground through). Personally, I'd find the closest ground wire (black-on-white) and splice into it.

Hope this helps ...

· Registered
2,185 Posts
As near as I can tell, the OEM horn switch grounds to some local structure (the steering column maybe?) with no special wire involved. The red-on-green wire is the positive going to post 13 on the Body ECU. If you don't see any separate ground wire coming out of your OEM horn switch, I'd suggest test-grounding the MOMO ground wire to some metal component of the steering column (around the horn switch mount) and see if the circuit works that way.

Otherwise, look for a black & white (black stripe on white wire, per the 2001 Wiring Manual) wire coming off the combination switch (signals / wiper controls) on the steering column. This should lead to a grounding point on the inner side of the driver's side front door post (vertical structural member forward of the door - where the door hinges connect). This appears to be the OEM ground point for the combo switch *and* the Body ECU (the only things the horn switch can ground through). Personally, I'd find the closest ground wire (black-on-white) and splice into it.

Hope this helps ...
Enola, I found the ground wire but the NRG steering wheel comes with two contacts behind the horn button and on the hub. How should I wire these in order to get contact? I'm scratching my head on this one... LOL Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

· Registered
3,850 Posts
when you push the "horn" down on the steering wheel all you are doing is completing the circuit to ground, so there is only need for one wire, what Enola is trying to say is it is one wire coming into the "horn" button on said steering wheel and when you push the "horn" in it just makes contact and boom complete circuit, think of it as your horn (the button it self) is the "ground wire" and the wire coming into the column is the "power wire" when the two meet it is a complete circuit and the horn sounds...i really am trying to dumb it down as much as possible (not trying to be an a$$ i swear)

if the new wheel that you are putting on has two contacts, try just wiring the "one" wire to only one of the contacts and then see if it works, if not, try the other one, if it still doesn't work try running that wire to both contacts...these are the steps that i would take, if it doesn't work after that then i have no idea...

· Registered
2,185 Posts
when you push the "horn" down on the steering wheel all you are doing is completing the circuit to ground, so there is only need for one wire, what Enola is trying to say is it is one wire coming into the "horn" button on said steering wheel and when you push the "horn" in it just makes contact and boom complete circuit, think of it as your horn (the button it self) is the "ground wire" and the wire coming into the column is the "power wire" when the two meet it is a complete circuit and the horn sounds...i really am trying to dumb it down as much as possible (not trying to be an a$$ i swear)

if the new wheel that you are putting on has two contacts, try just wiring the "one" wire to only one of the contacts and then see if it works, if not, try the other one, if it still doesn't work try running that wire to both contacts...these are the steps that i would take, if it doesn't work after that then i have no idea...
Ok, so I should have explained that I've tried that option already and some how both contacts on the hub are constant so when I hook up the ground on either contact the horn goes off. I guess I'll just have to jimmy rig it somehow.

· Mambeau / Admin
48,299 Posts
I'm confused by your description of the situation.

What do these NRG contacts look like? Can you post a pic?

What 'ground' is it that you are connecting to one of the contacts on the hub?

It sounds to me like everything's like it's supposed to be, but the horn button is 'stuck' in the on position. :shrug:

· Registered
2,185 Posts

It sounds to me like everything's like it's supposed to be, but the horn button is 'stuck' in the on position. :shrug:

I'll post a pic. There are two contacts coming from the HUB. And I was using the ground from the OEM steering wheel. I'll take a pic later and post.

· Registered
3,850 Posts

this sounds accurate to me as well...

· Mambeau / Admin
48,299 Posts
I see one problem right off the bat ... :thinking:

Check the wiring diagram I posted. There is no ground wire - like I said in post #5, the horn switch grounds itself to the steering wheel structure. I see some green on the wire dangling beneath the steering column in your photo. That would be the green wire with red stripe that's the HOT lead from the Body ECU to the horn switch.

· Registered
2,185 Posts
I see one problem right off the bat ... :thinking:

Check the wiring diagram I posted. There is no ground wire - like I said in post #5, the horn switch grounds itself to the steering wheel structure. I see some green on the wire dangling beneath the steering column in your photo. That would be the green wire with red stripe that's the HOT lead from the Body ECU to the horn switch.
Enola, how would I hook up my horn to work like stock? I'm still :brickknoc

· Mambeau / Admin
48,299 Posts
Let's back up here ...

First off - you need to give us a better description of what you've tried so far ...

When you experimented with the wires (per post #12), the green / red wire was connected - right? (See your post #10).

The wire on the left is the ground line. When you hooked it up, it opened a ground for the circuit, and the horn blew. That's what the OEM wiring scheme does - you close the switch and you open up a link to a ground point.

If you connected the green / red line to the NRG ground line, you effective bypassed the switch entirely.

Does the NRG horn button simply cause a connection between those two black lines? (You still haven't given us a clue how the aftermarket horn switching is done.)

If so - it looks to me like you want the OEM hot line to the Body ECU (the green / red wire) to connect to the line on the right (assuming the one on the right is what NRG intended to serve as a hot line to the horn switch).

· Registered
163 Posts
NRG uses the wire on the right as the hot and the other wire to complete the circuit thus the horn turns on. The back of the hub has a copper backing in which you need to rig a way to have the green/red wire constantly rubbing on it so that your horn can be used at any wheel position. You really gotta search and use your resources bro. I used a thick audio wire with a lot of frayed copper strands rubbing all up on the copper backing. I would have done similar to what the instructions say but I didn't have a hair clip. Macgyver that ****! http://www.getnrg.com/products/support/questions

· Registered
2,185 Posts
NRG uses the wire on the right as the hot and the other wire to complete the circuit thus the horn turns on. The back of the hub has a copper backing in which you need to rig a way to have the green/red wire constantly rubbing on it so that your horn can be used at any wheel position. You really gotta search and use your resources bro. I used a thick audio wire with a lot of frayed copper strands rubbing all up on the copper backing. I would have done similar to what the instructions say but I didn't have a hair clip. Macgyver that ****! http://www.getnrg.com/products/support/questions
Thanks bro. I followed the instructions from the link and got it working like stock. I appreciate it.:waytogo:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.