Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My '01 has a downright maddening whistle coming from the driver's side window at highway speed. Sounds about like a kazoo blowing in the cab -- can hardly hear the radio. Only thing that makes it go away is lowering the window an inch or more. I installed a pair of those Auto Ventshade deflectors that fit in the window channel, thinking that might solve the problem, but if anything it's only made it worse.

I've searched and searched, but I keep hitting similar but unrelated problems in the second- and third-gens, not first-gens. Anybody have the same issue?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Whistling around the windshield was a known issue for some owners of 1st-gen Tacos. Side window whistling problems weren't as common.

I've installed vent shades / deflectors that use the fit-in-channel mounting on my own and others' vehicles, and there's never been a noise (or other) problem with any of them. For the record - these have all been Lund or WeatherTech deflectors. I have no experience with Auto Ventshade deflectors, and I don't mean I suspect they're any more prone to this problem than the ones I've used.

In any case ... The problem didn't start when you installed the deflectors. This means the root problem lies in the door, the window, or the trim.

One obvious first guess is that the trim / lining around the window is worn out. Unfortunately, you'll have to disassemble the door to get to it.

Is it a low-pitched buzzing or hum? Or is it a higher-pitched whistling?

Does it definitely seem to be coming from the top of the door / window? Or .. ?

Have you had any noticeable issues with water leaks in that door?

It might be that the window glass is loose or misaligned in its tracks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts