Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys heres the planned setup for this week. I'm gonna be installing the toytec 3" OME lift on my taco along with 285/75/16 tires on 16x8 wheels. I'm gonna be doing it all at once so i wanted to know if I will have any rubbing issues with Type B backspacing from wheelers. I have an 06 access cab sport. Is anyone running this same setup with no rubbing. If so let me know otherwise will I need to get spacers?

· Registered
110 Posts
isaacstaco said:
you'll be fine. you may rub just a tad bit, but nothing to worry about.:waytogo:
Wrong.

Less backspacing means you avoid rubbing on the UCA but you get more rubbing on the fenders which means more trimming.

4" of backspacing on the Type B wheels correct?

That means a lot of trimming and maybe even some cutting on the cab mount depending on the brand of 285s you decide to buy.

BTW: You will always rub with 285s and a 3" lift. No matter what.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what do you guys suggest. The tires are yoko geolander at's. Are we talking rubbing at full lock or what? Would spacers help or am i just gonna have to trim. Your guys help is appreciated this is my first truck and first time customizing any vehicle of mine. Thanks again.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont offroad but maybe a few times a year. I just camp and go on trails but nothing too serious. I just want to know what to expect with clearance issues.

· Registered
320 Posts
I've seen 285/70R17 BFG M/Ts on stock 17" wheels using a 1/4 inch wheel spacer with minimal rubbing issues.

· Premium Member
2,094 Posts
285/75/16's will rub on 2005+ tacoma with 3" suspension lift. i have pro-comp 16" 1079's with 4" bs, nitto grappler at's. i went with bushwacker pocket flares. had lots of rubbing issues. luckily the flares are easily manipulated with a heat gun, so i was able to massage the rubbing areas. however, the tires still hit the frame at the front body mount. a 4.5" bs rim probably will clear that area. one has to also take into account the upper a-arm clearance. i went with all-pro uniball UCA's so i got some clearance there too.

if you're gonna offroad then i strongly suggest getting 1-2" body lift pucks along with your 3" suspension lift.

· Registered
320 Posts
Taco_Kid said:
285/75/16's will rub on 2005+ tacoma with 3" suspension lift. i have pro-comp 16" 1079's with 4" bs, nitto grappler at's. i went with bushwacker pocket flares. had lots of rubbing issues. luckily the flares are easily manipulated with a heat gun, so i was able to massage the rubbing areas. however, the tires still hit the frame at the front body mount. a 4.5" bs rim probably will clear that area. one has to also take into account the upper a-arm clearance. i went with all-pro uniball UCA's so i got some clearance there too.

if you're gonna offroad then i strongly suggest getting 1-2" body lift pucks along with your 3" suspension lift.
2005 Tacoma with 3" lift and min rub on black inner fenderwell with 285/75R16 Yokohama Geolander M/T+ tires on 16X8 rimes with 4.5" backspacing. No changing out of any suspension part.

body lift + off roading = :badidea:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.