Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would applying mass / sound deadening material to the read cab wall on a regular cab Tacoma make a noticeable improvement (or no improvement) in the amount of road noise that gets into the cab?

I'm not looking to build a monster stereo, I'm just wondering if it would be worth the hassle or a complete waste of time and money to add mass to the rear cab wall. My theory is that a lot of road noise comes in through that part of the cab as the noise comes off the road then "echos" between the cab wall and bed. If the cab wall was heavier or perhaps heavier and covered with a sound absorbing material like carpet, perhaps it would reduce some of the cab noise (?)

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,680 Posts
I suspect it would reduce ambient road noise by some amount, but IMHO you'd have no chance of drastically reducing road noise unless you also did the floor and footwells.

You might be able to test how much road noise could be reduced by hanging a blanket or one of those moving company padded covers against the rear wall and driving around to see how much difference it seems to make.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It certainly wouldn't hurt to do just the rear, but I agree with Randy that you will want to do the doors and some of the floor to really see a big improvement. I did the rear wall because it was I had a sub back there (nothing fancy) and the wall was vibrating a lot. I have a double cab, but I believe the rear wall is the same. I didn't do the entire floor. I went forward from the rear until about the front seat. I think I remember there being some factory padding/insulation in front of my front seats, but I am not sure. The doors, back wall, and rear floor made a heck of a difference. The biggest A/B comparison came accidentally when I finished the passenger door and had not done the driver door. I rolled up the windows (electric) and I could barely hear the motor on the treated door while the untreated door sounded loud.
I used RAAMaudio BXT (mass loading) and Ensolite (closed cell foam for sound absorbing) (both from RAAMaudio). The shiny stuff in the picture is the mass loader and the dark gray stuff is the closed cell foam.
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, guys. If I ever feel ambitious enough to upgrade the speakers and have to pull the door panels off, perhaps that'd be the time to consider doing the job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the advice, guys. If I ever feel ambitious enough to upgrade the speakers and have to pull the door panels off, perhaps that'd be the time to consider doing the job.
I did something similar with my pickup. I did everything under the carpet and seat, the rear wall, and the inner and outer door skins. I used to get a real tinny sound when I’d close the doors. That turned into a solid thud and really helped with freeway road noise. Not sure if it’s still available but a product called Brown Bread came in a huge roll and was a fraction of the price of Dynamat. All you need is a heat gun and roller. It’s well worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would applying mass / sound deadening material to the read cab wall on a regular cab Tacoma make a noticeable improvement (or no improvement) in the amount of road noise that gets into the cab?

I'm not looking to build a monster stereo, I'm just wondering if it would be worth the hassle or a complete waste of time and money to add mass to the rear cab wall. My theory is that a lot of road noise comes in through that part of the cab as the noise comes off the road then "echos" between the cab wall and bed. If the cab wall was heavier or perhaps heavier and covered with a sound absorbing material like carpet, perhaps it would reduce some of the cab noise (?)

• It's gonna make a world of difference, ice put dynamat on the doors , floor of the cab and back wall and not only do you get road noise greatly diminished but the little squeaks you hear soften also truck seems more heavily built and definitely helps with your music

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How is the carpeting attached to the floor in the cab? Removing the bench seat seems like it shouldn't be a big deal, but removing the flooring, applying dynamat (or whatever) and reinstalling the carpeting seems like it would be quite a job... not to mention that I don't want my floor to look like dookie if the carpet doesn't lay down right :-/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Removing carpet is easy. Remove the floor trim at the doors, remove the seats, and a few minor attachments at the front. I’ve had mine out a couple times. While the carpet is out, you can scrub it with a hose, car wash soap and a brush. Rinse it out well and hang dry for a day or two when it’s warm and you’ll have clean carpet as well. I did this when I bought the truck because the previous owner spilled a container of soy sauce or similar all over the passenger floor. Afterwards, it was like new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts