Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I was washing my truck and I noticed the 2 front tires are wearing unevenly. Both the inner walls are wearing out much faster than the remaining parts of the tire. I've just bought this truck last August and only have about 17k miles on her, she is bone stock. My first thought was the alignment, but it's been straight ever since I bought her. The only thing I can think of is that I've taken her off-roading a couple times, nothing major, no rock crawling, just a bit of medium speed desert stuff— no jumps. Could the shocks be blown? I'd like to think Toyota's TRD off-road shocks would be much beefier than what I've done to her so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
like you stated, possibly your alignment, or very well could be your ball joints. your shocks wont affect your alignment/tire wear..

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Low tire pressure would probably wear both the inner and outer (to low)

I say his tires are towing outwards......causing the inner part of the tire to wear out

·
Registered
890 Posts
rotate them and adjust your camber. i highly doubt your suspension is already crapping out after only that many miles...especially with the TRD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Tony Montana..

<ul type="square"> Do the following or don't:

Check your inflation vs. your tires' specifications.

If this doesn't fix it rotate em, tighten your suspension, inspect all your bushings, fittings etc.

Shocks usually put these nice lil intermittent flat spots across the treads of your tires.

If this doesn't fix it then you may have a brake caliper issue causing the inner wall to wear faster. [/list]

Here's a lil more information than you might want.
Inspecting Tire Tread Condition!

Although modern tires may get exceptional mileage before needing replacement, the tread will eventually wear down to the point of danger. All modern tires have tread wear indicators (tread bars) that appear as continuous bars across the entire tread width when the tires wear out. Tread wear indicators become visible when the tread wears to its last 1/16 inch or to the minimum tread depth permitted by law.

Replace any tire when the indicators become exposed in two adjacent tread grooves across the tread width or in two locations around the tire circumference. Ideally, the tread wear should be even from right to left across the width of the tread. This indicates a tire that was operated at the proper inflation pressure with no wheel alignment or wheel balance problems.

Besides checking your tires for normal wear, you should look for abnormal wear conditions. Two common-but easily correctable-causes of abnormal tread wear are overinflation and under inflation.

Underinflation: An underinflated tire has been operated at lower pressure than recommended by the tire maker or the vehicle manufacturer. Low pressure causes the tire to collapse slightly, and more vehicle weight is carried on the tire sidewalls than on the center of the tread. Consequently, tread wear will be greater toward the sides than in the center. Under inflation is a far more common problem than overinflation. It shortens tire life and can make steering seem slow and sluggish. See the article "Tire Inflation Pressure" in this section which explains how to check and adjust tire pressure in more detail.

Overinflation: An overinflated tire has been operated at higher pressure than recommended by the tire maker or the vehicle manufacturer. High pressure causes the tire to expand more, and wear will be greater in the center of the tread than toward the sides. The inside and outside edges wear less because they contact the road with less force than does the center of the tread. Overinflation shortens tire life and can make vehicle handling seem "light" or "skittish," particularly on wet roads.

Abnormal tire wear due to overinflation and underinflation is not the only thing to look for when you inspect your tires. Tires that show uneven tread wear on the inside and outside areas or across the tread width may be a clue to wheel alignment problems. If the tread sections next to the grooves have feathered edges, it often indicates problems associated with the wheel alignment "toe angle." Any of these conditions is a good reason to have the wheel alignment checked by a service facility.

If any tire has unusual wear in the form of flat spots or worn chunks of tread, it may indicate a wheel balance problem. This kind of tire wear may be accompanied by noticeable vibration or steering wheel shaking at certain speeds. Regular tire rotation and balancing not only prolongs tire life, it contributes to safe vehicle control.

I jacked the previous excerpt from Basic Car Maintenance....

·
Registered
13 Posts
This past weekend I was washing my truck and I noticed the 2 front tires are wearing unevenly. Both the inner walls are wearing out much faster than the remaining parts of the tire. I've just bought this truck last August and only have about 17k miles on her....
Not to beat a dead horse or anything (old post and such), but I have seen this problem on other boards and have it myself. TRD 2002 ext cab, likes to wear the inner tread alot faster than the outer, especially on the front wheels. Its mostly a factory alignement issue, my guess is they align the TRD's the same as non-TRD, and the difference in the shocks cause the camber that causes the wear. The dealership should give you a freebe "breakin" alignment under warantee that should help clear it up, though mine came from the duma$$'s insurance that ran the stopsign to ripoff his front bumper on my rear wheel...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Bump... just noticed that this is happening on my 04... 19K miles... I have my tires rotated every 5K and keep the air maintained at 32psi. Matter of fact, they did the last rotation when I had other service done!!!

Guess I should call the dealer and make an appt to get an alignment done... will they replace the tires under warranty? I've kept up on maintenance as far as rotations and air... seems to me that it's a factory issue that are causing the tires to wear in this way... Toyota should replace them!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
update: truck is at the stealer right now... The service writer told me that any adjustments, etc are covered for one year from DOP... so I guess I gotta pay unless they find something that caused it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts