Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some feedback on what people with lowered Taco's tires load rating they have on there low profile tires? I'm looking at using some tires with a 96 load rating. So I would like to see if anybody else has used tires in this load range? Higher or lower?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
As far as I know, the load rating for OEM tires on a 2016 2WD Taco is 98 or 99.

A lower 96 load rating means you wouldn't be certifiably able to safely haul weight / loads approaching - much less at - your OEM weight / payload limits.

More simply stated ... if you expect to use your truck as a truck, the safest thing to do is always use tires with a load rating equal or higher than the OEM spec's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know, the load rating for OEM tires on a 2016 2WD Taco is 98 or 99.

A lower 96 load rating means you wouldn't be certifiably able to safely haul weight / loads approaching - much less at - your OEM weight / payload limits.

More simply stated ... if you expect to use your truck as a truck, the safest thing to do is always use tires with a load rating equal or higher than the OEM spec's.
Yes- the current tires I have on it are 98. Its going to be lowered street truck. I cant seem to find any low profile tires with a rating over 97 in a 16" tire size with low profile tires. I would like to be able to tow and haul light weight also though.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Only you can decide the possible wisdom of using tires load-rated lower than spec. Lower-rated tires aren't guaranteed to fail you - they just increase the possible risk.

Let's face it - Murphy's Law is still very much in effect.

The idea of towing as well as hauling sorta scares me, because any tire failure could happen while pulling a trailer (whatever), making the breakdown situation even more tricky.

If if were me, I'd consider dropping down to 15" rims so I could fit thicker tires with a higher load rating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts