Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was wondering what goes into a full tune up on a 91 toyota pick-up 4x4 V6. I wanna do what i can to save me money from taking it to a shop if i can do parts of it, or atleast give them the parts to make it as cheap as possible.

thanks.

·
Prerunner TRD
779 Posts
Spark plugs also,maybe wires. Might need timing belt if you have high mileage.There is a list you can find that tells you what you need at each mileage point.

·
damn
6,533 Posts
the timing belt in my truck was done at 56K...seems early?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has 190k on her. But the engine was rebuilt at 100k. 3.0 head gasket recall. I just bought her a couple months ago and the wires and cap are new i believe.

Wheres teh list at duct tape?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
At 190k you are due for timing belt again especially if rebuilt at 100k. Also with that mileage you should focus on the chassis as well. Bushings and suspension are probably near its end of functionality. I don’t know the grease points on that year.

And Yes, plugs are wires.

You should be good to go after that for another 100k, save for routine fluids.

·
Prerunner TRD
779 Posts
brucebruce said:
She has 190k on her. But the engine was rebuilt at 100k. 3.0 head gasket recall. I just bought her a couple months ago and the wires and cap are new i believe.

Wheres teh list at duct tape?
http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php
The link I was thinking of is for 97 up. :brickknoc

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the front suspension is a TC long travel set up that isabout a year old so i dont think the bushing are ready to go on that.

·
Registered
470 Posts
When a tune-up is mentioned, a lot of people think of an engine tune-up. When I worked as a mechanic, the things we would replace in a tune-up were:
plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, PCV valve, air filter... these were the most common.
Sometimes we would do other things at the customers request, which include things that George already mentioned up there like belts, Coolant flush, grease fittings, service brake and power steering fluid... Then as he also mentioned you can go as far as doing your bearings, flushing the rear diff., Its all really up to you, but I'd say that all these things pretty much cover everything you need to worry about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts