Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to lacr last night and clutch slipped the entire first run. I dropped the boost and it held up until the top of third. Who makes the strongest/highest clamping force clutch? I already have a centerforce dual friction installed which is supposed to have 90% more clamping force than stock but obviously it's not gonna hang. Anyone?:shrug:

·
Registered
14,486 Posts
not too many peopel have had great luuck wityh centerforce on tacos.. anyways i have a act street disc and it can take come abuse.. however you might wana talk to luis at paradise racing.. he showed the 2.4 guys a nice clutch that was suposed to hold 283 ft lbs for us and i think yoru clutch is a lil bigger:waytogo:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't dyno'd my truck yet, but I have to gues that it's putting out around 350lb/ft of torque. I think I'm gonna have to have somthin made that will stand up to that much hp/tq.:shrug:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got an email into luis, we'll see what he can come up with. In the rain and at the track i run a water bladder (shur-trax) to aid with traction. It puts 300lbs. over the rear axle. That probably doesn't make it any easier on my clutch as well. Next time i'm gonna get there early and play around with the weight and boost some more and see if i can finess some better e.t's. Pretty sad when you get a 18.455e.t. in a turbo tacoma. I did get it down to 15.259e.t. on my third run with the clutch slipping from half track through the light, but still pretty sad even if it was at l.a.c.r. :doah:

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
Call up LC then have a clutch kit that will help hold your ish together!

·
Registered
344 Posts
TJS TACO said:
I haven't dyno'd my truck yet, but I have to gues that it's putting out around 350lb/ft of torque. I think I'm gonna have to have somthin made that will stand up to that much hp/tq.:shrug:
That's a pretty high guess. What are setup are you running?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't have a Taco but I have had two different centerforces in a pre taco. I will never use a different clutch. Dual friction center force. I have a friend w/ a 92 awd eclipse and he has blow 3 act clutches so far. I have seen two of them blow. For some reason they won't hold the hp that a basiclly stock eclipse can put out. So I stick w/ what I have had luck with. But like I said for a pre taco. Oh and the first center force was a gold (cheapest one) and it had over 250 000 miles before we scrapped it. It went through three different trucks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dprofeta said:
That's a pretty high guess. What are setup are you running?
look at my public profile for my set-up, it's not a guess, just a ballpark you know + or - a few lb/ft either way.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mecca racer said:
I don't have a Taco but I have had two different centerforces in a pre taco. I will never use a different clutch. Dual friction center force. I have a friend w/ a 92 awd eclipse and he has blow 3 act clutches so far. I have seen two of them blow. For some reason they won't hold the hp that a basiclly stock eclipse can put out. So I stick w/ what I have had luck with. But like I said for a pre taco. Oh and the first center force was a gold (cheapest one) and it had over 250 000 miles before we scrapped it. It went through three different trucks.
I already have a centerforce dual friction installed, it don't hold.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Firdaddy said:
take that ish outta the back man.. i've launched at 5K at my track sidestepped the clutch and the truck almost stalled out .. if your track has good traction.. no problem:waytogo:
Yeah it's outta there, i'm gonna check with lc and see what they got to offer. I was looking around on-line and saw that marlin krawler has some tough clutches but i didn't see anything for the taco's, so i'm gonna give them a call to check if they have somthin for my app.

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
TJS TACO said:
I already have the best centerforce has to offer (dual friction), it don't hold.
6 puck ceramic from RPS or Spec.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
SPEC is a good clutch with lots of options for you to choose from.
I, on the other hand run Superior Clutch. It's a custom 9 puck, sprung, Kevlar/ Copper setup. I also had a while ago a custom pressure plate with double-row diaphragm....my clutch/ pressure plate combo can withstand 380ft/tq !...overkill for what I have right now...:lol:
Your best bet would be, go with Kevlar (even though it chatters...:evil: )...maybe 4 pucks, sprung (if you like to have that smooth engagement)...otherwise, if you want on-off operation, go without the un-sprung.
So, again, either way: Superior Clutch or SPEC are really good clutches, and both of them give you the ability to fully custom make your own clutch/ diaphragm based on your needs.
Call Superior Clutch and talk to Robin at: (408)436-1189 and tell him your problem, he'll be able to help you out...:waytogo:
Superior Clutch is located in San Jose CA....so the turn-around shouldn't be too bad....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alex B. said:
SPEC is a good clutch with lots of options for you to choose from.
I, on the other hand run Superior Clutch. It's a custom 9 puck, sprung, Kevlar/ Copper setup. I also had a while ago a custom pressure plate with double-row diaphragm....my clutch/ pressure plate combo can withstand 380ft/tq !...overkill for what I have right now...:lol:
Your best bet would be, go with Kevlar (even though it chatters...:evil: )...maybe 4 pucks, sprung (if you like to have that smooth engagement)...otherwise, if you want on-off operation, go without the un-sprung.
So, again, either way: Superior Clutch or SPEC are really good clutches, and both of them give you the ability to fully custom make your own clutch/ diaphragm based on your needs.
Call Superior Clutch and talk to Robin at: (408)436-1189 and tell him your problem, he'll be able to help you out...:waytogo:
Superior Clutch is located in San Jose CA....so the turn-around shouldn't be too bad....
Thanks for the info I'll give them a call today:waytogo:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts