Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a strange outwards dent on my 03 double cab taco the other day...any idea what caused this? I know I have a short bed and have transported a bike or two in the past with the the rear bike tire resting on the tailgate in that exact spot, but would it cause that? The outward dent is right under the handle to the tailgate. Any thoughts on how to repair that/prevent it from worsening?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
muddturtle3 said:
I noticed a strange outwards dent on my 03 double cab taco the other day...any idea what caused this? I know I have a short bed and have transported a bike or two in the past with the the rear bike tire resting on the tailgate in that exact spot, but would it cause that? The outward dent is right under the handle to the tailgate. Any thoughts on how to repair that/prevent it from worsening?


Something in the bed of the truck Hit it when you punched the gas. I had that happen to my Ranger I had some wood in the back and when I took off all the wood hit the tailgate and put a outwards dent on my tail gate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jerry said:
Something in the bed of the truck Hit it when you punched the gas. I had that happen to my Ranger I had some wood in the back and when I took off all the wood hit the tailgate and put a outwards dent on my tail gate.
Highly unlikely since i've only used the truck to transport mulch and bikes that are strapped down. I was thinking the downward pressure from the back tire on the bikes flexed the internals in the tailgate against the body panel.
 

·
Mambeau / Admin
Joined
·
47,972 Posts
If there was sufficient weight in the right place, it might not take much of a 'jolt' to cause such a dent ... :thinking:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
muddturtle3 said:
Highly unlikely since i've only used the truck to transport mulch and bikes that are strapped down. I was thinking the downward pressure from the back tire on the bikes flexed the internals in the tailgate against the body panel.
That's why I got a trailer for my Banshee no dents. The back tire of the bike may be the cause of the dent, They do move a bit even if they are tied down.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
819 Posts
Every Tacoma owner that has a bike has that dent. There is a reinforcement in the gate and when you put a good amount of weight or something slams into the gate you get that.
 

·
BOOSTED
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
it is the tailgate latch that probably made those dents that goes outward I have the exact same on mine. it is too much beach and sitting on the tailgate. so it does not cause much to make the latch go in to the outer part
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,300 Posts
Got the same outward dent (ballpark-frank) on my T/G below the handle..It's got to be from the parts inside...:(
 

·
www.ncp-power.com
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
yeah, mine has the dent, too. so i started paying attention to other tacos of the same vintage, and it looks like most of them have the dent. look around and you'll see it too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Mine had it the day I picked it up from the dealer brand new. When I got there he had it backed up against the showroom window.
I didn't notice it until a couple weeks later though and never had anything in the back.
:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,016 Posts
I have the same problem..

when i had my ****ty fabtech rear shocks, my buddies and i would sit on the tailgate while someone would jump up and down on the bed...stupid now but fun at the time.

when i was installing my tailgate lock, i had to open up the rear pannel ( of the tail gate) and saw that the dents came from certain brackets within the tail gate which touched the sheet metal. PUshed hard enough, itll give off those dents.

id like to fix the dents, but if theyll come back then it wont be worth it.
 

·
BOOSTED
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
nah not worth it. I tried and no success it does come back within a few months if you carry around anything against your tailgate or if you go to bbqs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well atleast now i know why....anyone use one of those diamond plate sheet tailgate protectors to give it a bit more strength?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top