Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whick type of wax would u guyz recomend for a red truck that sits out in the hot sun all day?:shrug: I want that wicked shine!

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
The wax doesn't matter, its all about the prep. You need to make sure you have as close to a flawless surface as possible (only obtained after polishing) and a completely smooth surface (from after claying). When a finish is prepped correctly, wax almost doesn't matter.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I am also learning that product matters less and application is key. Use a decent product but prep and apply the right way and it will work.

I just did my sister in laws 97 328ci that is Red and faded. Went at it with the #80 on the G100. Then 2 coats of #26 and man what a huge difference it looked great.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I found that carnauba based waxes really don't last more than a month. Having said that, if I was going to use one, it would be Meguiars Professional #26 - High Tech Yellow Wax. On my cars, I use the Zaino system. While its quite a bit more expensive and takes a long time to do, it has lasted me for as long as 4-6 months in the Virginia summer sun. But as others have said, prep work is key. If you are really serious about shine and quality, the G100 or PC-7424 (same machine sold by 2 different companies) is indespensable.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Kyle, can you give me some tips on how to use the G100? After doing my 3rd car, I have gotten better at it, but it still seems that I'm not getting the results I should. After using #83 with the yellow pad on my last car for example, the swirl marks diminished somewhat, but it seems that it should be better. This car was a 2005 model, so they were not bad at all to begin with. Any tips your can give me, such as how much polish to use and technique would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dmitry

·
slow poke
3,098 Posts
I've got the same color as you, and I've been parked out in the same Florida sun as you for the passed years of my truck's life (6yrs in november).

I've always had some sort of wax/polish on the paint, though -- but when I strip it down with dawn and clay it, you can tell the sun has taken its toll on the bright red.

This pic was taken recently after I stripped the wax, clayed the paint, and applied 1 coat of Zaino Z2. It's possible to get that wicked shine on this color without using electronics or machinery, even if you're in the Florida sun each day. Like the others said, it's a matter of prep work and how well you maintain the finish over the years. :waytogo:

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
redrunner said:
I've got the same color as you, and I've been parked out in the same Florida sun as you for the passed years of my truck's life (6yrs in november).

I've always had some sort of wax/polish on the paint, though -- but when I strip it down with dawn and clay it, you can tell the sun has taken its toll on the bright red.

This pic was taken recently after I stripped the wax, clayed the paint, and applied 1 coat of Zaino Z2. It's possible to get that wicked shine on this color without using electronics or machinery, even if you're in the Florida sun each day. Like the others said, it's a matter of prep work and how well you maintain the finish over the years. :waytogo:

cute wheels

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
sputnik767 said:
Kyle, can you give me some tips on how to use the G100? After doing my 3rd car, I have gotten better at it, but it still seems that I'm not getting the results I should. After using #83 with the yellow pad on my last car for example, the swirl marks diminished somewhat, but it seems that it should be better. This car was a 2005 model, so they were not bad at all to begin with. Any tips your can give me, such as how much polish to use and technique would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dmitry
The best advice I can give you is to watch the How to Use the PC for Showcar Results, which you can buy at www.showcargarage.com Its the best $25 a G100 owners can spend

Other than that, you're probably not putting enough pressure on the machine, working too fast, working in too large an area or a combination of all of these.

·
Registered
282 Posts
RedRunner06 said:
Whick type of wax would u guyz recomend for a red truck that sits out in the hot sun all day?:shrug: I want that wicked shine!
I used Meguiars NXT tech wax after deep crystal 1 and 2 on a red civic and it turned out great. Won't last long though.

Reviews say meguiars #21 sealant topped off with #26 yellow wax. Sealant for longer protection and 26 for bling bling.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
also, it matters how many coats of 83 you do....one coat may not be enough to remove all the defects....could take like 4-5 on some paints....depends on how hard it is...I think that 2-3 of 83 and 1 80 is better than one 83 and two 80.....

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
like it has been said over and over it is not all the product but the application and the prep. i have been workign at custom paint shops for about 8 years now and have colorsanded,polished,glazed,and waxed hundereds of cars. i do have to say tho using the right products will make it a lot easier on you. i have always seen that a high quality pure carnuba looks best, but it will last about a month . soem of the new synthetic waxes and sealers will last acouple of months but may not get you the same shine or depth. also cost and ease of use is huge when taking care fo your own car. i use a pretty large range of products depending on what color,type of paint(clear coat,single stage,pearl,metalic,or candy) and age of paint. the meguiars #26 is a pretty good wax and is simple to use and will yeild good results. so maybe give it a try.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Yes, I definately prefer the Carnauba wax shine over anything synthetic. It just has a depth and 3-dimentionality to it that something like Zaino can't really provide. But it does last much longer than carnauba, and still looks great, so I use it religiously for our cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts