Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2001 Tacoma 2rz with a TRD supercharger it's been eating water pumps and I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what could be causing it I've been buying oem pumps and gaskets thanks anyone for some help need to keep my house on the road

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) Do you have any other engine mods besides the supercharger kit alone?

(3) Are you the original (or later) owner who had the supercharger installed?

(3a) If so - did you source the supercharger from TRD, Alpine, or LCE? And how long ago?*
(3b) If not - how long have you owned the Taco?

(4) What exactly is happening to the water pumps? Cracked housings? Warpage / leaking? Internals disintegrating? Or ...?

(5) How long has this been going on? Were there any other glitches, warning lights, issues around the time it started?

* NOTE: TRD never made an S/C for the 2RZ. They rebranded S/Cs from Alpine in South Africa. As far as I know LCE also sold Alpine units.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle

so this is a Pic of the supercharger I bought the truck off of my brother 3 years ago he had it for I belive 2 or 3 years bought the truck the way it sits so came with a header and a box with the stock manifold aftermarket ecu that says high boost ever installed to my knowledge and a 63mm pully also never installed but its the seal around the pump that leaks after a while 3 months to 6 months I had one last almost a year but this has been going on the whole time I've owned the truck and I'm not gonna lie I beat the piss out of it ooo and it is throwing a po171 system too lean bank one lol but only sometimes and I don't clear the code most it goes off by itself

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
My first guess is that it's got something to do with the pulleys / belt. That's the only direct link between the supercharger and the water pump.

Maybe something worn or misaligned causing the belt to turn the pump pulley in an unbalanced way? Maybe causing vibrations in / on the pump?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts