Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been (sort of) chasing a leak on my w58. When i swapped that trans in, i noticed i kept leaking. being a used trans, I thought my output seal was to blame. Changed it twice. Then i found my leak coming from higher up. The rectangular rubber gasket, baffle, seal thingy was not sealing so i ditched it in favor of "the right stuff" silicone. The little washers that line the bolt holes are there to limit the squish of the rubber. The rubber was worn/aged so it wouldnt seal. My leak was solved for a short while, until i found that my shifter boot was cracked so i replaced that.

Baffle gone and new boot, she still leaked like a mofo. After tons of searching, i have concluded that you need the rectangle baffle to eliminate splash. Along with the splash, as the temp goes up, vapor is created and pressure increases. A combo that pushes the splashed oil out the top of the boot.

I have since replaced that baffle PN: 33143-35050 (~$38 on amazon) and leakage has stopped. Its the first time in 2 years that the trans has not leaked.

Hope this helps others suffering from leaks.

-H

Another note, if you run without the baffle, it sits your shifter ball lower in the receiver linkage. I powershifted a good one and the plastic bushing must have caught an edge on the linkage and yanked it out.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
Thanks for reporting what you've learned. :waytogo:

I don't remember anyone else dealing with this particular issue before.

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,231 Posts
Loving customtacos.com
Working to install URD short shifter and sure enough I got the seepage from the tower on my r150 trans. Uses same part (how i found this thread) thought my leaking was the tower but just rtv on. Nope. Gotta replace $58 bucks now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts