Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Vibration After Lowering

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fredfifty 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2/3 Belltech kit. After measuring I thought the 3 inch lower in the rear was too much, ( I'm old ) so I cut the blocks to 2 inches.
Now when I start out I get a vibration that wasn't there before.
Everything lined up & on the pins, is there an alignment procedure for the rear axel / driveshaft?
The truck has 140,000 on it, so
I wondering in the u-joints don't like the new angle of the driveshaft and I need to replace them or is there something else I'm missing?
Thanks

#3 ·
being that your truck is a v6 x-cab you are getting the max possible drop out of the coils...so you may need to get a 2degree taper shim to toss on top of the blocks in the rear...especially with an x-cab with the 2 piece driveshaft...that short rear section gets a more dramatic angle change with drop than a long single piece...you may be alright by flipping the carrier bearring and not adding shims also...worth a shot since it's free and easy...search on here and you will find all the info you need on doing it...i doubt u-joints at the moment...i have like 170k miles and been dropped since 40k and still on my stock u-joints...and 2/2 is a very mild drop

#4 ·
The only reason the drop kit is an inch lower in the rear is to compensate for the standard factory "extra load carrying" inch of height in the rear on most trucks. The kit is just designed to level out the truck. What you did is fine, and understandable.
The vibration is most likely the rear half of the driveshaft (or angle of) in relation to the front half and the differential. The simple fix (usually) is to unbolt the center driveshaft carrier bearing from the frame, flip it over 180 degrees, and bolt it back up. This will lower the driveshaft (only slightly), thus reducing the angle. I would not think that only 2" rear drop would have that effect, but it's possible. mine is at 3" and the flip fixed the same vibration problem I had initially.

#6 ·
Well, I have to say I was skeptical about the "turn over the carrier bearing"
but that was just the ticket!
I wouldn't think a 2" drop would make that big of difference.

Thanks for all your replies
don't doubt the CT knowledge base!!! lol, j/k

it's just enough to throw the angles off a bit...and the carrier bearing flip is just enough to straighten things back out a bit...with a 4" drop you would normally have a 2degree taper on the blocks and flip the carrier bearing as well

glad to hear that took care of it :waytogo:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.