Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I've been on here lurking a bunch, but rarely post... anyway, has anyone ever used these tools to tighten lugnuts?

Sockets or Extensions

These are supposed to limit torque to the lugnut while using and impact wrench, but the closest torque value I could find is 80 ft-lbs. (85 ft-lbs is the spec for the '05.) Is that close enough? (I'm sure most other torque wrenches have tolerances factored in, but does this get close enough?)

I know I could just go about it the standard way, but I figured I would throw $30 at this and see how it goes. Thoughts, comments, criticism welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
CorruptedDemon said:
As a former tech at toyota, I can tell you we always used the Orange one.
So yeah they work.
Yeah I use the orange one at work to tighten all toyota lugnuts. I highly recommend it. It is a 21mm/80ftlbs.:waytogo:

·
Registered
172 Posts
The guys at the shop use them to do all the patrol cars. The only thing I don't like is that with my personal car I work my way up to a torque setting, esp on front tires with disc brakes. These are right up to the limit.

But I guess you could grab a lesser one, do all the lugs, then move up to your final setting.

·
Registered
336 Posts
matts02taco said:
id suggest air gun then hand torque...you just never know if the torque stick reallly works...i dont trust them
Doing them by hand can't hurt. But like I said before, at toyota we always used the orange one, and I have never had a wheel fall off in my 4 years of working on cars. And I always used the sticks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
CorruptedDemon said:
Doing them by hand can't hurt. But like I said before, at toyota we always used the orange one, and I have never had a wheel fall off in my 4 years of working on cars. And I always used the sticks.
I've been using one since 99. I have the one for Toyota and the 17mm for German Cars. never a problem. I use mine pretty much everyday. I've tightened don lug nuts and then checked them with a Matco Torque wrench. They work just fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just use the torque stick and torque it down in a star fashon. I have been using this method for years and never had a problem.

·
Banned from Auto*****s.co
2,790 Posts
I don't trust them either... espescially after I used mine as a hammer one day....

·
Yota Doc
1,823 Posts
Chris D. said:
I just hit em with the impact, If you've used the tools long enough, you have a feel for em.. Torque sticks are a waste of time..
Exactly.

Plus, for the price of the torque sticks, you could get a good torque wrench instead, which would be alot more useful.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Flamingsushi said:
Exactly.

Plus, for the price of the torque sticks, you could get a good torque wrench instead, which would be alot more useful.
Torque stick 30-35 bucks. Torque wrench 150 on sale.(for a good one)

·
damn
6,533 Posts
i usually gun 'em on, and then hand torque them. Saved my a$$ a few times from loose lug nuts

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,739 Posts
TahoesHateMe said:
Torque stick 30-35 bucks. Torque wrench 150 on sale.(for a good one)
Yes, but you can adjust the torque wrench and use it for all sorts of other things.. Torque sticks are for suckers..

9 times out of 10 those torque stics dont even torque to what their supposet to anyways.. more or less..

I paid 100 bucks for mine, its a craftsmen and its a 1/2" drive....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess you could always double-check the torque applied by the torque stick or extension by taking a torque wrench to it afterward. Of course, everything has a given tolerance to it... I always figure as long as it's close, it's good enough. I check that stuff enough not to worry too much about it.

I konw how it goes with some people just not trusting some types of tools, and I'm the same way with some things too, but i gues I put a fair amount of faith in Snap-on products. I'd like to believe they are reliable enough for a home user. I don't think my impact wrench is so all powerful that I'll be snapping the thing either (at least I hope not)

The only other thing I was wondering about is when you start using the impact wrench to put the lug nut on the rest of the way. I'm sure you've noticed there's a part of the lug nut that centers the hole in the wheel. Anyone ever had a problem with that binding using air tools to spin the lug nut on? I assume putting it on my hand for the first few threads at least. Any opinions or experiences?

Thanks again for all the input. Now all I have to decide is whether to go with the $35 extention or the $45 stick...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Chris D. said:
Yes, but you can adjust the torque wrench and use it for all sorts of other things.. Torque sticks are for suckers..

9 times out of 10 those torque stics dont even torque to what their supposet to anyways.. more or less..

I paid 100 bucks for mine, its a craftsmen and its a 1/2" drive....
Craftsmen come out of calibration. My 1/2 and 3/8 are Matco. $150 each on sale. Torque sticks do what their supposed to do. We tested them at work to see for ourselves. Then again that as also with a good Ingersoll Rand 1/2 impact gun. Tightened some wheels down, rechecked with a torque wrench. They were all good.

I know a thing or so about tools. I only have 30k worth sitting at work, and almost bought a Matco tool franchise.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts