Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i have a 95' tacoma 4x4 5spd ext. cab and there is a 3 way switch mounted on the left hand side of the steering wheel, anyways theres 2 wires leading from it. one goes to the battery positive post and the other goes to a vacuum/sensor of some kind. the sensor i think is located on the driver side just next to the fuse box. when i flip the switch up it makes a sudden jerk as if the front differential is engaging then makes a vibration/grinding type of noise. i just need to know what this does it pretty annoying.

thanks,
Rodney

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
my guess is a front locker maybe? put your truck up on stands, flip the switch, and see if the front tires rotate in the same direction

got a pic of the switch?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd guess front locker too since it has vaccum tube in the circle. Agreed to put it up on jacks....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah its not factory. someone installed this into the truck. the sensor has a couple vacuum line coming out of it and a few wires. i dont have a digi-cam but if you guys have a 4 cyl. truck like mine. open your hood look at your fuse panel and just to the left underneath it theres a funky sensor. only thing i find odd about this is its 4x4 drive is manually put in gear not a push button so how can you lonk the front electronically if its manual? i dont know, im a vw bug guy lol. im still learning:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The transfer case is shifted manually, but aftermarket differential lockers are generally independent of the t-case. Some lockers use eletronic, or vacuum activation and use switches, and if they're wired correctly, you don't have to have the vehicle in 4hi or 4low for them to activate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
10-14-2006 02:24 PMJay W.The transfer case is shifted manually, but aftermarket differential lockers are generally independent of the t-case. Some lockers use eletronic, or vacuum activation and use switches, and if they're wired correctly, you don't have to have the vehicle in 4hi or 4low for them to activate.This guy's right. If you can't tell if there's a locker by looking, you can flip the switch to engage it. Try driving slowly and turning...if it doesn't want to turn too far, it's gotta be a locker. You should be so fortunate to have it. That's not a cheap mod and deffinitely not factory. Be careful in how you use it though. If you know nothing about lockers, I would suggest reading up on them before you go playing around with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts