Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ChocoTaco
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one of these products filters and breaths better for offroad use? Or is there any other filter out there that you guys recommend? :shrug:

·
ChocoTaco
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a fram air hog now, works pretty well, just wondering if there's anything better...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
ill tell you right now the k&n does not wor good on anyones truck. i had one on my dez truck but after doing a top end rebuild on the truck i noticed a bunch of oily dirt stuck to the inside of my intake manifold. ever since i have been running tru flow filters(lightly oiled) .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a k&n drop in right now for mine right now. I ordered the k&n intake and will be taking the k&n filter off of it and replacing it with the aem dryfilter(no oil) . Boone over at toyotanation.com wrote up a mod for the 2005 + tacos here that states the reason for the move away from the k&n.

http://www.yourtacoma.com/faq/index.php?sid=1284&lang=en&action=artikel&cat=3&id=5&artlang=en

also if anybody wants to add to the faq section of the site feel free to pm me, also if you want to use the gallery part let me know, I just slapped the site together to hold all our tacoma mods / info and whatever anybody wants. Really started for myself so that I know that some mods and pictures don't go away after time :)

WOOHOO my first post :)

·
ChocoTaco
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FRiZzO said:
WOOHOO my first post :)
hey dude, welcome to CT! a new member and alreaddy contributing, i like that! hope you stick around this site! :waytogo:

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
h2oplaydamian said:
For true off roadin you need a snorkel................;)
And what filter do you use AFTER the snorkel..? TTORA guys say AMSoil, there are fitment issues, i have one. I'll be going to an OEM toyota paper filter soon.

·
Stop Staring
5,744 Posts
h2oplaydamian said:
For true off roadin you need a snorkel................;)
no kidding genius....but you still need a filter.

between the 2 you mentioned, id go with the TrueFlow. i have a TrueFlow now and aftrer having an Amsoil on the last truck i can tellyou that they are pretty much the same thing. just different colors. and due to the fact that Amsoil doesnt have any filters for our trucks right now, the TrueFlow is your only option. as far as the K&N goes....i had some in the past, they were crap. better than stock as far as onroad use, but overall the Amsoil/TrueFlow design is much better

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I cycle through a couple of Toyota paper filters, I have about three in rotation. Here is a head on test of k&n, amsoil, and paper filters.

Paper completely wins out for filtration. At another site, Someone had oil analysis from their Toyota with various filters, and the Toyota filter had the least contaminants in it. Besides, k&n and amsoil dont give you a great power boost.

·
Registered
172 Posts
To answer the actual question. the best FLOW would always be a K&N. Nothing out flows it. However for Off-Road dusty conditions, even K&N recommends you get a Pre-Filter. They have two styles now. One is a foam-like material and the other is more of a cloth-like cover.

If FILTRATION is your priority, then nothing is better than a PAPER (or possibly stock) air filter. However you do sacrafice on the air intake.

Some outside test have shown that FOAM (ie Amsoil) and COTTON (ie K&N) both allow about the same amount of dirt in so if you are willing to sacrafice some filtration for flow, then Foam or Cotton is a toss up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts