Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost finished swapping a 5.3 ls into my 2001 toyota tacoma v6 prerunner but I can't get it to crank. I have the main power wire and the signal wire going to the ls starter and I even plugged in the auto shifter for the neutral safety switch. I'm wondering if I'm missing a signal from the transmission or something at the tacoma ecu. Any info on the starter wiring will be appreciated.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,885 Posts
Here's the 2001 diagram showing the V6 starter wiring scheme. The starter sub-circuit is not illustrated in the 2001 V6 engine control diagram (also attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I found out that the neutral safety switch is in the harness going to the transmission and not on the shifter... So I plugged the 5vz harness back in and tied the wires together and the started engaged!!! But wouldn't spin and also it only engaged a couple of times. So I'm guessing I fries something in the ecu??? I've just decided I'm going to just wire in my own starter relay, but i appreciate the help!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,885 Posts
Just in case I'm missing something here ...

What starter are you using for this LS transplant?

If you're transplanting a different starter I'm wondering whether there's some sort of mismatch between the new starter's wiring scheme and the Toyota OEM wiring scheme - especially something to do with the fact Toyota switches components on the negative (ground) side.

If it's a transplanted starter - is it designed to ground by its mount, or does it require a ground wire connection? The OEM Toyota starter grounds via its mount.

Another odd possibility occurred to me ... I notice there are 2 hot leads connecting to the OEM starter in the factory layout - one switched by the Starter Relay, and one direct from the battery. The direct line from the battery is presumably the main power line. I don't know what's going on inside the starter that requires two hot leads. It suggests the line from the Starter Relay triggers something that activates the starter motor.

I'm not sure the starter is getting juice from your OEM Starter Relay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The starter I'm using is a stock 5.3 ls starter that grounds through its mounts. Both the toyota and chevy starters have a lead straight from the battery and then a smaller wire from the starter relay that I assume activates the solenoid.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The starter I'm using is a stock 5.3 ls starter that grounds through its mounts. Both the toyota and chevy starters have a lead straight from the battery and then a smaller wire from the starter relay that I assume activates the solenoid.

You should be able to energize that small wire independently of everything else to see if the starter even works. Just bypass all the stock starting circuitry and send power straight to the solenoid. I did something similar on my 86 runner...stock starting circuit basically stopped working so I just wired up my own starter relay and pushbutton.

Reactions: Enola Gaia
1 - 6 of 6 Posts