Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from multiple toyota truck that are older that its a bit tricky and takes some advice to switch it back from 4 wheel drive (eith h4 or l4) into 2 wheel drive. I have a 1991 4-cyl model short bed manual transmission. Any advice or tricks or suggestions? We have trouble every time. The diagram on the stick shifter for the 4x4 isn't entirely accurate. Help from someone who's been there? Thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
if not mistaken, 91 Toy is a manual locker on the wheel drive shaft? If so, not sure on my end as I always thought you will need to jump out the truck and turn it manually to lock it in place.

but if it is e-lock like my 04, then it is best to be rolling 5-10mph, flip the switch from 4wd to 2wd. The locker will disengage easily.

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
Push the lever into the 2x4 position.

Drive the vehicle slowly while accelerating and decelerating and you might need to make some slight turns.

If there is pressure on the slip collar it will not slide and disengage so you have to drive in such a way to take the pressure off so it can slip and uncouple the shaft and release 4x4. It should not take to much, but it is not going to happen sitting still most likely.

G

1 - 3 of 3 Posts