Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously a 3rd-party such as a muffler shop focuses solely on installations such as this, bu the TRD parts are just that, Toyota parts. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
resolute said:
Obviously a 3rd-party such as a muffler shop focuses solely on installations such as this, bu the TRD parts are just that, Toyota parts. Thoughts?
If your wanting to know where to have them installed do them yourself. Toyota will do it, but will rape you for the install. The headers will take an afternoon to install. Exhaust 30 min if that.

·
Super Duper Tundraholic
10,196 Posts
yeah Toyota wanted $800 to install TRD headers on my truck. :jawdrop:

So I ended up doing it myself with a mechanic friend. :cool: It was actually pretty fun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because I'm 100% incompetent when it comes to things like that. ;|

·
Registered
344 Posts
make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. My TRD headers required that I cut the pipe on the first cat and weld on a new flange. Also they can be a PITA to get the pipes and bolts where they need to go because of the tight fit. The headers are the only mod that I had someone else installed and yes I did pay a decent amount but make sure that you shop around and compare prices. Where in so cal are you? I ended up at longo toyota in el monte, about 45min drive from where I am and they had the cheapest price and even gave me a rental while the truck was in there.

·
Registered
977 Posts
if u want to get the headers on there and dont have mechanical skills , bring it to the dealer or a good mechanic shop that has patience cause they take quite a while . and I wouldnt try to start this project in an afternoon, more like a whole day saturday . the exhaust can be done by anyone tho .

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you're not up for the task of putting them on (at least in part) by yourself, then find a reputable installer (toyo or 3rd party) definitely check around for prices. It turned out one of the most reputable shops around here was also about (literally) half the price of any chain muffler shop and you can't beat the customer service. You know it's a good place when all the old restored hotrods get taken there for their custom exhausts.

good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys thanks for the responses! For those who asked I'm in Newport Beach, so South Coast Toyota would be the closest dealer (and is the dealer who services my truck) but I don't really know what their reputation is like, although I have had no problems. Longo is a huge store, and I'm sure I would have a great experience with them. I'll have to shop around for an installer, but I'm pretty set on those headers, dprofeta ;), although really appreciate your warning.

·
Registered
344 Posts
resolute said:
Hey guys thanks for the responses! For those who asked I'm in Newport Beach, so South Coast Toyota would be the closest dealer (and is the dealer who services my truck) but I don't really know what their reputation is like, although I have had no problems. Longo is a huge store, and I'm sure I would have a great experience with them. I'll have to shop around for an installer, but I'm pretty set on those headers, dprofeta ;), although really appreciate your warning.
I'm not trying to talk you out of those headers. I have them and I think they are good. ( I don't have anything other than stock to compare them to) but I am happy with them. Make sure that you get the "Y" pipe with the spring flanges. All the new ones should come with them but make sure though so it will minimize the leaks. Good luck and PM me if you have any more questions. I have never dealt with that dealer you mention but my dad used to work for Toyota at their national headquarters in Torrance and he would agree Longo is definitly worth the drive. Also I think that Power Toyota in Irvine is pretty good as well. I don't know about the guys at Tustin Toyota. Their parts dept is great but the service dept definitly lacks customer service. I used to go there a lot but now I take my truck for service to Power.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. Thanks for all your info, I'm glad to hear you like the TRD headers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: South Coast toyota is quoting me essentially $700-$1000 for the install alone. This doesn't sound reasonable to me or my friends, so I intend to shop around further (as well as call the dealers suggested in this thread). Any OC muffler shops people would recommend?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
resolute said:
Update: South Coast toyota is quoting me essentially $700-$1000 for the install alone. This doesn't sound reasonable to me or my friends, so I intend to shop around further (as well as call the dealers suggested in this thread). Any OC muffler shops people would recommend?
I tried 3 different muffler shops (highly recommended by hot rodders) in the South Bay and all of them wouldn't touch it. According to them, it takes too long and not worth it for them to do. :shrug:

Let me know how it turns out! :waytogo:

·
Registered
344 Posts
resolute said:
I paid about $350 for the install at longo after a few calls to them with other quotes. That is labor only. I got the headers for employee price which helped when it came to opening my wallet again for the install.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dprofeta said:
I paid about $350 for the install at longo after a few calls to them with other quotes. That is labor only. I got the headers for employee price which helped when it came to opening my wallet again for the install.

Haha, very nice. Yeah, I'd love to get them at cost somehow, but I just don't have the connections. I know a LOT of people at a Ford dealer, but that obviously doesn't help me in this circumstance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts