Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
re-TRD-ed
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got around to putting my TRD Catback on my 01 TRD 3.4 . It looked pretty simple from what I read in the TRD instructions. However, I did run into some problems when I removed my old stock exhaust. First off the bolts and nuts, I think they were once 13mm, that hold the exhaust pipe flange to the rear cats were rusted and seized. I guess this is normal for a daily driver in Hawaii. The surface rust made it impossible to take them off using a socket or wrench and after a few minutes of frustration and the neighbors kids learning new and exciting words :mad: out came the cut off wheel. Cut the heads off both the bolts and tapped the shanks out with no problem, yay! But the best was yet to come. According to the instructions your supposed to unclip the o2 sensor wire clip on the frame rail so that the exhaust will lower down more to remove the o2 sensor guard and the sensor itself. Well as my luck would have it the 2 nuts that hold the O2 sensor on were rusted and seized the same as the exhuast. So after a few more minutes of frustration and drunken sailor language :brickknoc I came up with a plan, grab the cut of wheel and delicately cut out both of the studs that hold the sensor and the guard off. After crawling back under the truck I realized it was gonna be impossible to do this with the exhaust on the truck. I couldnt get the exhaust off due to the o2 sensor still being hooked up so I followed the wire where it had another clip located on top of the frame rail. It was a pain to get the top clip off but I finally got it. The wire then goes to a grommet into the cab under the passengers seat. Took off the left plastic floor trim peice and found the connector under the carpet. Unclipped the connector and detatched the grommet and fished the connector through the hole in the floor and out the botton of the truck, got back under the truck and unhooked the exhaust from the truck and put it in the driveway where I could work on it better. After a little thinking I decided to cut the studs that hold the o2 sensor and guard right below the senor. I went slowy making sure I didnt damage the o2 sensor plate or the sensor itself. Slowly but surely I got both studs cut off. I did need to bust out a hacksaw because of the grinder shaft hitting the guard and the wheel not fitting due to the flange. Everthing after that was cake. Followed the rest of the instructions and had the catback mounted in no time. After I connected the o2 sensor back up I started the truck and let it idle. The sound was great, not tool load and not ricey. I did notice that some white/yellowish water was coming ou of the pipe during idle. I beleive this was some of the coating in the new metal combining with condensation, at least I hope it was. After a short drive on the freeway I let the truck idle in the driveway and checked for leaks. The exhaust smelled like someone was welding or grinding metal. Again, I think this was due to the new metal being heated for the first time after the install, I hope. Am I right is the smell and the wierd condensation due to the exhaust being brand new? Or do I have some problems. :shrug:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts