Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the 06/ 05 Tacomas Tow? I have a ski boat I want to tow out of state with my Taco. The dealer said that because I have a 4dr long bed that the chasis will tow easier. ....

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
well the dub cad lb 4x4 has a towing rate of 6500 lbs. w/hitch (3500 bumper)
while the prerunner dub cab lb has a rate of 6500lbs. w/hitch (3500 bumper)

i dont know what the dealer was talkin about maybe cause the truck is heaver?!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
In a nutshell, yes. But I'd invest in a transmission cooler if you are an automatic and make sure your trailer has brakes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
get a decent receiver hitch before towing a 5,000lb. boat. Crappy bumper hitch is not designed to handle that kind of stress for extended periods of time. I doubt it would break off or anything crazy like that, but it might bend a little and look funny.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
rednecktaco said:
well the dub cad lb 4x4 has a towing rate of 6500 lbs. w/hitch (3500 bumper)
while the prerunner dub cab lb has a rate of 6500lbs. w/hitch (3500 bumper)

i dont know what the dealer was talkin about maybe cause the truck is heaver?!
the dealer was absolutly right.
the long bed DC will tow better because of the longer wheelbase. try to tow the same weight trailer with a short wheelbase standard cab Taco, and you will definatly know what i mean.

for example, my race car on a trailer weighs about 3100 lbs. my SR does it easy... but when i had a standard cab Nissan, it was downright scary. corners are the problem. prepare to do some high speed drifting with a short wheelbase.

just because the vehicle is rated to tow 6500 lbs, does not mean that it's a good idea to try it. it would be a nightmare to even attempt to tow a trailer that weight, even with KC777's truck. i'd do it with a turbo diesel dually, but not with a Taco.

5000 lbs is doable. just be very careful on corners, and drive as smooth as a limo driver... and of course, be ready to hit the manual trailer brakes at all times. you will definatly notice a lack of power though.
dave

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that 5000 lbs is alot for a Taco... but considering I have the limited slip lockers along with the 4x4 I think it will pull alot easier than the older Tacos..... I towed a tourniment Malibu ski boat (heavier among ski boats) this weekend and my truck seemed to do fine my RPMs were not "sky high" and the truck it self didn't feel out of control by any means. I do agree though you should use extreme caution while driving on the freeway because it is a smaller/ lighter truck ( but don't be afraid to do so).. The new 4ltr V6 really gives a power boost compared to the older Tacos. My truck did just fine for all I'll ever tow and it will do even better soon as I install my TRD s/c:drool: .

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
KC777 said:
I agree that 5000 lbs is alot for a Taco... but considering I have the limited slip lockers along with the 4x4 I think it will pull alot easier than the older Tacos..... I towed a tourniment Malibu ski boat (heavier among ski boats) this weekend and my truck seemed to do fine my RPMs were not "sky high" and the truck it self didn't feel out of control by any means. I do agree though you should use extreme caution while driving on the freeway because it is a smaller/ lighter truck ( but don't be afraid to do so).. The new 4ltr V6 really gives a power boost compared to the older Tacos. My truck did just fine for all I'll ever tow and it will do even better soon as I install my TRD s/c:drool: .
actually, towing down the road, the SR does just fine. my friends XR did no better or worse than my truck with the same trailer and race car, as the power to weight ratio is almost the same.
4 x 4 and lockers do nothing for towing on the road, as traction really is never an issue. but in your case will help on the wet boat ramps.
towability also depends on the weight of the truck also... remember, you dont only need to haul the weight of the trailer, but also the weight of the truck.
where i find that you may have a hard time, is on steep hills... 5000 lbs is a lot, and your truck is a little over 4100 lbs. 9100+ total lbs is asking quite a bit from a 4.0 on hills. anyway, regardless of load, your power to weight ratio is a lot lower than an older V6 Taco believe it or not.
you absolutly need a trans cooler if you expect your tranny to survive.
were caution should be used, is on high speed corners... thats the only time it gets a little scary... for example, when we were going through Colorado, west of Denver. but then again, anyone towing anything should use caution in places like that. ( the SR had the power to do 80 uphill through Vail... but i woulddnt want to take those corners at any more than 55-60, even if i had a big dually )
but in your case, your trailer load outweighs the truck. if you get any way loose around a corner, and the trailer starts fighting against the truck, guess which one is going to win...
anyway, just be careful. the truck can do 5000 lbs, but dont get a false sense of security just because it does fine on a straght flat road. i've towed for 1000's of hours with various loads and trucks, and anything can happen at any time in the corners.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
daveds50 said:
actually, towing down the road, the SR does just fine. my friends XR did no better or worse than my truck with the same trailer and race car, as the power to weight ratio is almost the same.
4 x 4 and lockers do nothing for towing on the road, as traction really is never an issue. but in your case will help on the wet boat ramps.
towability also depends on the weight of the truck also... remember, you dont only need to haul the weight of the trailer, but also the weight of the truck.
where i find that you may have a hard time, is on steep hills... 5000 lbs is a lot, and your truck is a little over 4100 lbs. 9100+ total lbs is asking quite a bit from a 4.0 on hills. anyway, regardless of load, your power to weight ratio is a lot lower than an older V6 Taco believe it or not.
you absolutly need a trans cooler if you expect your tranny to survive.
were caution should be used, is on high speed corners... thats the only time it gets a little scary... for example, when we were going through Colorado, west of Denver. but then again, anyone towing anything should use caution in places like that. ( the SR had the power to do 80 uphill through Vail... but i woulddnt want to take those corners at any more than 55-60, even if i had a big dually )
but in your case, your trailer load outweighs the truck. if you get any way loose around a corner, and the trailer starts fighting against the truck, guess which one is going to win...
anyway, just be careful. the truck can do 5000 lbs, but dont get a false sense of security just because it does fine on a straght flat road. i've towed for 1000's of hours with various loads and trucks, and anything can happen at any time in the corners.
Yes I will be careful. I would think there shouldn't be an issue of safty as long as I drive safe and in control being prepared for anyting at all times. I have what we call the grape vine in socal, you have probrably heard of it. Its a pretty steep road that leads to lake Naciamento and Norcal. I think the heaviest ski boats are a little over 4000lbs. Fortunatley I have a lake house so I rarely have to tow my boat up that steep grade. But I'd like the transmission cooler for trips out to lake mead, mojave and Havasue. I'm trying to find out how much one is. My main concern is wear and tear on the engine, so my thought is increase tork and it will decrease engine wear.

What do you think on the fact that the Tow bar is attached to the Chasis?

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
yup, im a SoCal native. been up the Grapevine 100's of times... and now, living in Las Vegas, have been to Lake Mead and Mojave, and have been to Havasu plenty of times. ( brother in law has a fair size ski boat too )
as far as trans coolers go, here are some examples:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=trans+cooler&N=4294888847+115+4294906626&Ntk=KeywordSearch

i have no idea what one will work for you... maybe someone else here can help. ( i dont own anything with an auto trans, and have not for many years )
as far as the tow hitch mounting goes... i have no idea how it hooks up on the 05-06... i never looked on how my friends XR was hooked up. but if it is anything like the pre 05, then it can take quite a bit. if in doubt, find a very good custom hitch shop, and they can reinforce the frame and hitch for the load you are towing.
dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts