Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 SR5 with 3.4 v6 i just installed firestone helper bags and brake controller, i was planning on buying a 20 ft utility trailer with trailer brakes (weight 1760 lbs) i am looking to haul a yamaha rhino (weight 1049 lbs) and a polaris razor (1190 lbs) do you think it will be able pull without any issues, any advice is welcome, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a five speed i wasnt sure if it would or not i know it will pull the rhino with the 14 ft trailer but im getting a razor and need the bigger trailer but just bought to tacoma recently so i really didnt want to have to upgrade trucks.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I have pulled compact and midsize cars on my 20ft Featherlite car trailer. I live in the mountains and I never reach for 5th gear. I'm not running a stock clutch either. Not sure how a stock clutch would even hold up to that kind of use.
Did I mention I'm dropped 3" in the rear as well. No helper bags, just blocks and springs. The key is to get the heaviest part of the load close to the trailer wheels, and slightly to the rear. I load cars backwards. Plus, it's a dual axle trailer.
You should be fine.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I'm no "newb" to hauling cars. I have never had any trouble in NC or SC, and besides that, if I load motor up front with the trailer on my SR, the tongue would drag the ground. Lol.
I just hauled an '08 Sebring convertible last weekend back to the shop. There's no safety issue as long as there is weight on the tongue, and tight tie downs.
Anything heavier, and I use a bigger truck.

I pull Vintage Airstream campers alot as well that I restore. Up to 24 footers.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
i was planning on buying a 20 ft utility trailer with trailer brakes (weight 1760 lbs)
buy a lighter trailer. i would guess a 1760 lb trailer is a 12,000 lb capacity trailer ? kind of overkill for a 2100 lb load.

this is what i have been rolling with for the past 6-7 years. the car is 2045 lbs, the trailer is a 1160 lb 7000 lb capacity. yes, overkill too, and currently am looking into 700 lb aluminum trailers.

you would not even get down the street here if you put the car on the trailer backward, just like Chris said. there is no reason to put it backward... the most extremely unbalanced car is water cooled FWD VW's which can be a 70/30 weight distribution, and that is only a few inches back to balance compared to my 58/42 Civic balance mark.

i run with exactly 350 lbs tongue weight. very stable even at 85 mph, and my truck tows it effortlessly. at around 75-80 mph, i get 16-17 mpg round trip average. ( no, nowhere is flat around here ) however, our trucks have different gearing. ( mine gets worse mpg under 60 )

and yes, the stock clutch is not a problem. i have about 50,000 miles towing so far, with no issues, truck has 60,000 on it. ( dont try this with an 05+ rofl )

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Daveds50 what length trailer is that civic riding on does it have trailer brakes
it is a 16 foot bed, total trailer length with tongue is 20 feet 1 inch. it is quite overkill though, as the car is only 12 feet long. but... i could not pass on the price at the time. ( bought used from a friend for $1200 with only about 100 miles on it ) too short for your two vehicles though. you *could* get by with a 18 foot bed like my friend with like vehicles like yours. ( two Razors ) but 20 foot bed will allow for better balancing.

many years ago when we had quads, i had a light duty utility trailer ( 3500 lb capacity ) that was 18 x 7 feet, and weighed 840 lbs. but i designed it, and had it custom built... as i used to tow that with a 4 cyl 95 Nissan reg cab. it had to be light.

yes, mine has very good brakes, and i did not skimp on the brake controller. stopping power is about equal to the braking with the truck alone. i spent quite a bit of time in a parking lot testing and adjusting the controller for panic stops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts