Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, i've done some searching but couldn't find much. I was wondering if anyone has towed much with the s/c. I have a 02 ext cab 4x4 and the truck feels gutless towing up hills so i'm in desprate need of more torque. Thanks

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
When I had the s/c on mine running 9psi and tuned and the whole works it did very well. Of course I had ~100whp and 100wtq over stock!:lol: With just the s/c and no other mods it was still kinda weak but deffinatly had more umph then stock. BTW, I've hauled more than what is legal weight wise with no problems but at a certain point you have to start worrying about the springs and the "overall ability" of your truck handling the load behind it. :waytogo:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Mine at 9psi pulling a heavy load up hill never got into the 1500's. I kept the afr's in the 11's though so it would make good power and keep the egt's down too. Ideal egt's with the charger at wot is in the mid 1400's. These numbers seem kinda high but remember the egt's just crusing down the road is 1100-1200 degrees!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
In June I towed a trailered '41 Chevy from Wyoming to Virginia with my S/C S-Runner. Never fell below 60 in the mountains and that was without putting the pedal to the floor. No overheating problems, but you have to watch for pinging in areas where you can't get 93 octane. In that case just ease off on the hills and don't accelerate as hard. MPG was 10 - 14. Note: make sure your entire hitch set-up is rated for at least 6,000 lbs although the truck is only rated for 5,000. The class III hitch and the ball should say 6,000 lbs. I found out the hard way, but that's another story.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the info, yeah my hitch and ball are both good enough, i'll just have to start savin for a s/c now haha

·
Registered
171 Posts
Weasy2k said:
Dont forget to save for fuel mods too :p
i have read here that it isn't a good idea to run w/o fuel mods, but im actually happy how its running. i only use it for towing purposes other than that im always cruising at 60-65, no high speed or racing. i do get pinging sometimes but it all depends what kind of gas i use. chevron or shell work well in my truck.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
btw; if you have an auto trans and a s/c you should seriously consider a trans cooler and trans kit, especially if you plan to tow. See URD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts