Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i got a funny question do u think a xrunner would tow a 86camaro on a car dolly about 75 miles roundtrip on the highway... to and from the racetrack?

just curious

·
Registered
378 Posts
try it a few blocks and see if it seems to pull it ok.

·
Registered
530 Posts
lucke said:
it does still have a 3500 ft tow capacity...
Yea, and that Camaro is probably just at, if not over the 3500. Plus the dolly of a couple hundred pounds.

·
StepSIde
3,295 Posts
The truck has plenty of power and is geared low enough.
I believe the problem would be the brakes.

·
Registered
296 Posts
it will be fine. its still a truck:nana: put a ball on it and tow the thing. just be easy and dont accel/brake hard.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
you shoulddnt have any problem towing the weight. your car should be around 3100 lbs stock, and since it is a race car, lighter than that if you have stripped it. tow dolly is around 300 lbs.

i have no problem with 3100 lbs ( 2000 lb race car, 1100 lb open trailer ) and we have towed it with an XR also, and it towed no different. we do extremely long distance hauls. often over 1000 miles one way.

your problem with a tow dolly is stopping. i used a dolly once... and then decided flat towing with a tow bar was slightly better for short hauls. ( less than 100 miles )

best to get a light trailer with trailer brakes, and a class 3 hitch with frame re-enforcements. the extra weight will be a more than fair tradeoff for the safety. my friends car trailer weighs 760 lbs, so open trailers can be light. if your race car is stripped, it can be as light as 2800 or less lbs, so with the trailer, you will be around the tow capacity.

xrtaco06, you worried about two jet skis ? i diddnt even notice two jet skis behind the truck...
dave

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
daveds50 said:
xrtaco06, you worried about two jet skis ? i diddnt even notice two jet skis behind the truck...
dave
yea man i pull my single ski on a long trailer with loaded gear box and usually 2 gass jugs. and i can still have fun messin with people on the road.:evil:

·
Registered
530 Posts
lucke said:
somehow i highly doubt the 86 camaro is 3500 lbs...
Weight of Unoptioned 1987 F-Body Combinations

Model Base Weight
IROC-Z 305 5.0 5-Speed 3,250
Formula 305 5.0 5-Speed 3,383
IROC-Z 350 5.7 Automatic Overdrive 3,341
GTA 350 5.7 Automatic Overdrive 3,476
Add in a trailer and you're right at the 3500 mark.

Still, best to test it with a short drive around the block and test the handling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts