Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the details of included equipment with a factory tow package? my owners manual says if the cooling fan hub on my "03"4*4excab is green then I have the tow package (which it is) and if its orange, like my girlfriends "02"4*4excab then she does'nt, and other than paint color I cant figure out the difference

· Mambeau / Admin
48,299 Posts
To further complicate the already complicated .... This auto forum thread:

http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/toyota-truck/2830/Tacoma-towing-package

... suggests the heavy-duty 'green' fan clutch may not have been included in the original factory Tow Package ... :shrug:

NOTE: No Toyota spec sheet or brochure from 2003 gives details about what is or is not included in the Tow Package. The Tow Package is cited (as something you need for max towing capacity), but it's not listed among the options. There was a port-installed towing setup circa 2003 which consisted of just the hitch and the wiring harness. I don't know if this was necessarily the same as the 'Tow Package' cited in the brochure....

· Mambeau / Admin
48,299 Posts
This RV forum thread (involving '03 Tacomas):

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2636

... relates one owner's experience - particularly learning that the factory 'tow package' is *NOT* the same thing as the dealer-installed 'tow package' (which was definitely just the hitch and wiring harness)....

· Registered
1,870 Posts
As I recall from the info provided by Toyota when I was buying in '02, there are two separate things here:
-Tow package
-Trailer hitch and wiring

The hitch and wiring you can buy anywhere, but the Tow Package inludes some unknown things, but could be as simple as just a slightly different fan clutch or fan blade assy. There aren't any obvious part number options shown on the 2001 parts list though.
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/files/01_parts_list.pdf

· Registered
10 Posts
You guys are great. :clapping: I think I have the idea now. A class III/IV hitch can be obtained with aftermarket brand. A tranny oil cooler, a 9" pushing electric fan in front of the radiator can be installed. And for the trailer, a set of brake can be added. And when the factory struts go bad, then Bilstein or Tokico struts will be replaced. So far, I guess that's about the "Towing Package" in the manual. I would save some $$ by using aftermarket parts instead of factory parts.

In the future, I may modify the air intake system, put in the headers and the complete exhaust system to gain some torques. Supercharger or turbocharger is out of question because this truck is for my daily driver so gas consumption is a major issue. I actually used to modify and boost up Honda and Lexus cars so making the truck more powerful won't be so hard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.