Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta check the year tomorrow, but it's like an 01-03. I want to drop it down several inches without having to cut too much, I didn't want to do a balljoint flip because I plan on doing my best to take this thing drifting (and I assume it'll break easier?). Does anybody have links to coilovers they know will work for a 2-3" drop in the front? Most of the websites are not clear, or seem to imply that in the small-cab 4cyl models the drop will end up being much less noticeable. My plan was coilovers with 3" lowering blocks in the rear, anybody have experience trying to slide in a setup like that? I assume the rear will be about as bad as it is now just 3" closer to the ground but hopefully some weight helps. As the plan stands it's quite cheap and requires few skills that can't be bought with a case of beer, and I figure taking out a leaf or trying to find lowering shackles are still on the table.

Then, I'll have the diff welded and hydraulic e-brake installed by the shop. Boom fun little toy that can haul its own tires to the track, with plenty of room to grow and experiment (and it's not something I'll worry about bouncing off a wall). Any thoughts are appreciated, and I'll keep perusing threads

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ball joint flip wouldn't cause anything to break easier in my opinion, but it's not like it helps handling, just moves a softly sprung mini truck closer to the ground.

For coilovers there's not much options. The only one I know of is qa1, which requires plates made by a couple people, one being mjbfab, which I believe is the best option for the front. If interested in that option there's a couple threads with qa1 part numbers and such.

The absolute biggest problem in my opinion is axle wrap in the back with blocks and drifting. Someone more knowledgeable on leaf spring options can chime in, but modded 4wd leafs will give you a drop without running blocks which will help. Traction bars will also help, but I don't think there's an off the shelf option for that. If it will only be a drift truck and emissions isn't your concern relocating the fuel tank and 4-linking the rear is the best for handling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gotta check the year tomorrow, but it's like an 01-03. I want to drop it down several inches without having to cut too much, I didn't want to do a balljoint flip because I plan on doing my best to take this thing drifting (and I assume it'll break easier?). Does anybody have links to coilovers they know will work for a 2-3" drop in the front? Most of the websites are not clear, or seem to imply that in the small-cab 4cyl models the drop will end up being much less noticeable. My plan was coilovers with 3" lowering blocks in the rear, anybody have experience trying to slide in a setup like that? I assume the rear will be about as bad as it is now just 3" closer to the ground but hopefully some weight helps. As the plan stands it's quite cheap and requires few skills that can't be bought with a case of beer, and I figure taking out a leaf or trying to find lowering shackles are still on the table.

Then, I'll have the diff welded and hydraulic e-brake installed by the shop. Boom fun little toy that can haul its own tires to the track, with plenty of room to grow and experiment (and it's not something I'll worry about bouncing off a wall). Any thoughts are appreciated, and I'll keep perusing threads
I've got a 1999 Tacoma 5 lug standard cab with belltech shocks front and rear, lowering springs on the front 2.7" drop and 4" lowering blocks on the rear git the whole kit with everything you need from chassis tech it was a great price and the look and performance well worth the money. I bought my Tacoma new in 99' if I'd known the handling was gonna be this much of a difference I would have done it sooner and the ride quality is actually not as bad as I thought it was gonna be in alot of ways it's better you loose that tail sway that the trucks have in the corners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a 1999 Tacoma 5 lug standard cab with belltech shocks front and rear, lowering springs on the front 2.7" drop and 4" lowering blocks on the rear git the whole kit with everything you need from chassis tech it was a great price and the look and performance well worth the money. I bought my Tacoma new in 99' if I'd known the handling was gonna be this much of a difference I would have done it sooner and the ride quality is actually not as bad as I thought it was gonna be in alot of ways it's better you loose that tail sway that the trucks have in the corners.
I was under the impression this wasn't made anymore, and you could only get the kit for the V6/bigger cabs. Is this what you have/do you know if it would still be a significant drop?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts