Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll,
I've got a 2000 4x4 Tacoma 3RZ-FE with 100K miles and some frame rust that needed attention before it became a major problem. I disassembled everything behind the cab except the frame cross-members, brake lines, load sensor, etc.. I sandblasted the frame, welded Saf-T-Caps on the frame over the rear wheels, and painted the frame with POR15. Now I'm reassembling.

Does anyone have torque specs/diagrams for the following?
(1) the 2 gas tank hanger strap bolts (where they attach to the frame)
(2) gas tank filler neck to frame
(3) rear bumper to frame
(4) tow hitch to bumper mounting plates (I realize the tow hitch is aftermarket)
(5) rear shocks to shock mounts
(6) leaf spring plate to the axle (u-bolts)
(7) rear leaf spring shackles (shackle to the frame shackle mount AND the leaf spring/bushing to shackle)
(8) front leaf spring hanger to leaf spring/bushing
(9) the 6 bed-to-frame mounting bolts

Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
That's going to be a hard shopping list to fulfill, because ...

Generally speaking, torque specs were included in the FSM components diagrams for parts that Toyota expected or suspected a shop or owner might ordinarily remove / replace. They didn't include torque specs for some of the most basic attachments you listed, probably (IMHO) because they didn't expect shops / owners to strip things down to the bare frame.

These items are ones for which I already know I can't help you (except for very general bolt torque specs):

(3) rear bumper to frame (NOT EVEN MENTIONED IN THE FSM)

(4) tow hitch to bumper mounting plates (I realize the tow hitch is aftermarket) (AFTERMARKET; ANYBODY'S GUESS)

(9) the 6 bed-to-frame mounting bolts (NOT MENTIONED IN THE FSM)

More to follow ... Please stand by ...

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
Here (attached) is the 2000 fuel tank components diagram. This is the only place in the 2000 FSM that even mentions the hangers or fuel filler inlet pipe.

Note that the torque specs are given in 3 standards (nm; kgf/cm; and ft/lb). I can't guarantee the ft/lb spec is always the last one listed, so double-check on any of the diagrams I'll post.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
There's one diagram in the 2000 FSM covering both 5-lug and 6-lug rear suspension components (leafs / shocks).

Note that the single diagrm covers both truck types.

Here (attached) is the diagram.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
Finally ... The FSM documentation included standard torque specs for standard factory bolts and nuts. These may or may not be relevant to the remaining components you listed.

Here are the listings of standard bolts, standard nuts, and the standard / default torque specs for them.

Hope this helps ...

Attachments

Reactions: FMTPS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Enola. That's all very very helpful.

(9) the 6 bed-to-frame mounting bolts (NOT MENTIONED IN THE FSM)
When I removed the 6 factory bed-to-frame mounting bolts it looked to me like they had blue threadlocker on them. They were challenging to remove with a breaker bar even though the threads had no rust. Can you confirm if Toyota used threadlocker on the bed-to-frame bolts? I am replacing all of the nuts and bolts on all the aforementioned parts in my original post. Any thoughts on whether using threadlocker on the bed-to-frame bolts is advisable/necessary?

Thanks again for the diagrams and for your input.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
No, I can't confirm whether Toyota used threadlocker. I suspect they did, but I have no factory documentation to prove it.

The bed (as a unit) isn't mentioned at all in the 2000 FSM.

I can't find any mention of threadlocker usage (or general fastener info and tips) in the collision repair docs either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Removing lots of beds and doing a substantial amount of frame swaps as a collision tech. Blue threadlocker is a good idea on bed bolts because general driving can vibrate them out (not often but have had customers return missing bolts). Lots of hitch bolts I have removed (on non toyota vehicles) have had blue thread locker from factory also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts