Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I lowered my 2001 Toyota Tacoma Stepside with the 3/4 kit and thought that some 17"s wrapped in 40 Series tire would look really good. They do, but the tires and rims seem really small on my truck. I have at least 2 inches of wheel space in front and back. i don't understand because i look at Rainmans truck and it looks like he is almost filling those wheelwells. I shot out a pretty penny for these rims and tires and am disappointed that they aren't filling there duty.

I was thinking about buying some 210 or 215 and 55-65 tires but i am unsure of the outcome, in terms of looks and the profile of the tire.

What do you guys think I should do? Try to sell everything and start over?(money loser) Buy the bigger tires? any input would be helpful since all my friends do is ridicule me for dropping it in the first place!

Thanks

INACOMA

·
Registered
69 Posts
I recently lowered my 01 Taco xtra cab with the 3/4 kit. I have 17" rims with 225/50/17. To me and everyone that's seen it thinks it looks really good. Everyone is impressed on how nice my truck sits. I have approximatly 1" in front and 1 1/2" in the back. If I lower it 2 more inches in front I would tuck a little tire. I am going to try to post a pic soon.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Inacoma,

When I installed my 3/4 kit, I installed 17" wheels, too. I also have about 1-2" of empty wheel weel space up front, which bugs me every time I look at it. The back looks a little better, I think, but there's still a little gap back there.

I've been considering installing 1-2" coils up front and pulling a leaf in the back to take care of the gap. Installing larger tires is a possibility, but I don't think that's what I want to do. Consider that new tires will probably run you $300-$400 while a set of 2" coils might cost half of that. Keep in mind you might also lose some ride quality if you install drop coils.

Just blabbin'...

·
Registered
760 Posts
inacoma, i got the djm 3/4 too. i got some 17" with 215/45/R17 with about a 2 finger gap up front and about a 3 finger gap in the rear. i will post a pic a.s.a.p (i need a digital cam whats a good cam?)

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I started to price out some 215 50 for 17"s and I am looking around $400 bucks. I am going to price out some NON name brand stuff and see what i come up with. I am really disappointed to see that much room in the wheelwells and so little room underneath the truck! It almost looks like my 17"s are 15"s or something. My girlfriend thinks that it would also look good with some bigger tires and says that she needs to go shopping at some Import shops tomorrow! HMMMM! Possibly, i don't know.

I appreciate all responses and any others, they are narrowing down my decisions.

INACOMA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts