Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and read all of the posts regarding tie rod ends but didnt really find what I am needing. What are the symptoms of bad tie rod ends? I dont seem to have any slop in mine but I have a shimmy in the steering wheel when I hit any kind of bump (sometimes a little scary at speed). If not tie rods ends, possibly ball joints or rack bushings?

·
ChocoTaco
2,491 Posts
You know your tie rods are "bad" when there is excessive play in the tie rod and when the boot is ripped with all the greese gone.

Your problem could be one of money things. It could be an alignment issue, worn out bushings, of like you said, ball joints.

Jack one side of your front end up and shake the wheel (as in the tires) left and right. See if there's play and if there is which side it is comming from. From there you can narrow down your search to where the wobble is comming from. :waytogo:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Like Mini said jack up one side of your truck and try to wiggle the tire right and left, then grab the tire on the top and the bottom and try to wiggle. If it has play right to left it is most probably a tie rod end ( their is an inner and outer for each side) or possibly the steering rack. Top to bottom movement would be a ball joint( not very common on these trucks). To find which tie rod is bad grab a set of large channel locks and try to compress each of the rod ends, there should be very little play up and down. Its an easy and cheap fix to do. One word of caution, do not buy your repacement rod end from the dealer when one of mine went the dealer wanted $120 just for the part I got an aftermarket for $28 and its still perfect 100000mi later:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stay far away from the dealer unless I have no choice. I priced all 4 tie rod ends today at $90.00. I will probably change them even if the others dont look too bad.

Anybody have the Toyota part number for the rack bushings? All I can find online is the Synergy ones and they arent available down here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I am looking at some exploded diagrams, I think the guy at the parts house is trying to sell me ball joints too because I only see 2 tie rod ends.

·
ChocoTaco
2,491 Posts
there are FOUR tie rods. an outter on each side which you can easily see bolted to the spindle and a inner on each side that is hidden behide a boot. So there are four tie rods total!

Also if youre planing on getting new bushings for the rack, might as well get some better aftermarket ones. TC makes them! :waytogo:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mini Taco: there are FOUR tie rods. an outter on each side which you can easily see bolted to the spindle and a inner on each side that is hidden behide a boot. So there are four tie rods total!

To do a toe-in adjustment, is it ok just turning the inner rod and not worry about what's hidden behind the boot? I assume you'd loosen the clamp tying the boot to the rod first, correct? Or can you not worry about the clamp?

·
ChocoTaco
2,491 Posts
dont worry about the clamp. All you do if unscrew the locking nut and adjust via the sleeve. when done, tighten up the lock nut. As easy as 123... :waytogo:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts