Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey, to do this alot easier just remove your airbox, drill out the rivet going to the inlet to the fender and wrassle out the inlet tube. Instant airflow, I did this in the fall and had no problems, with rain, snow, or anything else.

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Yeah, that's what I did to mine, just get rid of that restrictive elbow and add a better filter, at least until I get a new full intake system.

·
Premium Member
8,245 Posts
Yeah, but when you consider that's maybe an hours work....to me thats $25 at the office, who wouldn't pay $25 for a little more HP and a little better sound?! I think most would.

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
It's mostly done by the offroad guys because they can close it up when they go offroading and it's cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For the same $25 I went to a muffler shop, got a 3" piece of exhaust tubing bent a little more than 45 degrees, came home, cut it to desired length, went to Autozone, picked up a Blue Donized cone filter, fabbed a quick bracket from the excess tubing, bolted it all to the MAF, and bam, cold air induction right behind the headlight. Sounds great, cost MUCH less than aftermarket and gets the filter away from the engine more as well. All in all, I replaced just the flexible hose... I left the stock box that goes over the valvecover, and used the stock MAF.

Picture at
http://hometown.aol.com/lsutacoma/taco.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
the Infamous deckplate mod (if you own a 4x4 taco you most likely know about this) is a good, waterproof sytem that can outperform the K&N FIPK go to gadgeonline.com and go to the air induction section. The guy is an automotive genius and has a 4-runner that can smoke most of us... also check out tacoma territories new england chapter for a bunch more info

any questions email me: [email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes I have done the deckplate mod to my '96 3rz. The TTORA NE site has instructions for the 5VZ (3.4 V6) but the basic idea is the same. I haven't installed it beacuse I haven't ordered an AMSOIL filter yet. I am still running my downey pipe, homemade filter adapter and a K&N 5'in cone-style with a pre-charger. Makes a VERY loud WHHAAAA @ 3.5-4K underload @ WOT.

any questions e-mail me: [email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts