Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: The "Go Baby" Speedometer Wire Mod??

I know on a honda the speed sensor goes to the ecu first and then out of the ecu to the speedo. It takes the same signal, so just guessing you take the same wire that you cut and just fine the wire that feeds the speedo and wire it strait to there. Thats probably how the urd one worked. Just in a cleaner feature. I would guess that would work. If I had my Tacoma I would try it. It won't hurt anything because they are both 12v. I would cut the wire that come from the VSS and cut the signal wire from the speedo and tie them together. I use to hate hitting the governor in my taco. Maybe this will help.

·
StepSIde
3,295 Posts
Re: The \"Go Baby\" Speedometer Wire Mod??

would it work. i got this from a guy on ttora and he said it will only work with a manual. not sure if you all have seen it before but i thought i would post it anyway.

http://www.nsmfinance.com/toyota/gobaby.htm
The original link isnt working... does someone know where I can find this write-up?? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

Has anyone found a way to do something like swap a canadian KM speedo and make it read in MPH? I would like to not only remove the limiter on mine but actually be able to read the speed past 110 and keep a semi-stock look eventually. For off road use only of course, I do my fair share of crazy stuff on the street but there's a difference between crazy and stupid.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts

Has anyone found a way to do something like swap a canadian KM speedo and make it read in MPH? I would like to not only remove the limiter on mine but actually be able to read the speed past 110 and keep a semi-stock look eventually. For off road use only of course, I do my fair share of crazy stuff on the street but there's a difference between crazy and stupid.
Not sure that is possible since the speed sensor goes through the ECU before it goes into the cluster.

BTW the line between crazy and stupid remains to be seen :cool:.

·
StepSIde
3,295 Posts

The original link isnt working... does someone know where I can find this write-up?? :shrug:
I revive a 3 year old thread, 5 replies later, still no response to my question...:doah:HELP>>>>

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts

check the link in my sig - samsonfab - read thru the turbo install and i think the link is there.

·
StepSIde
3,295 Posts

thx planemos, enola & jrd. :headbang: :applause:

·
Registered
758 Posts

the speed sensor goes through the ECU before it goes into the cluster..
Actually, the signal goes from the sensor to the cluster then out to the ECM (at least for my 2000 2RZ anyway) so toggling the SP1 pin to the ECM should stop speed cut while allowing the speedometer to peg out.

By installing 4.10 gears in my 2K 5lug, I'm hitting speed cut too early and speedometer is inaccurate. Does anyone know what combination of speedo drive/driven gears I might be able to use to bring the reading closer to stock? Thanks

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts

Give it a shot and do a write up..
info like that will get ya god like status on here :waytogo:

Actually, the signal goes from the sensor to the cluster then out to the ECM (at least for my 2000 2RZ anyway) so toggling the SP1 pin to the ECM should stop speed cut while allowing the speedometer to peg out.

By installing 4.10 gears in my 2K 5lug, I'm hitting speed cut too early and speedometer is inaccurate. Does anyone know what combination of speedo drive/driven gears I might be able to use to bring the reading closer to stock? Thanks

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,679 Posts

... Does anyone know what combination of speedo drive/driven gears I might be able to use to bring the reading closer to stock? Thanks
Unless I'm misunderstanding your question - the answer is 'none'.

Mechanical (cable / gear) driven speedometer equipment had disappeared from Tacomas by the 2000 model year. The later electrical speed sensors read a magnetic signal (so many pulses sent on up the wire), rather than a number of gear-driven rpm's transmitted up a cable.

·
Registered
758 Posts

electrical speed sensors read a magnetic signal (so many pulses sent on up the wire), rather than a number of gear-driven rpm's transmitted up a cable.
The electical speed sensor is driven off the transmission output shaft by a "drive" gear.
Same basic set-up as the previous cable type, except its no longer spinning a cable.
The Shaft of the speed sensor has a "driven" gear on it that spins the electrical sensor creating the pulses your speedometer then reads.

It appears that there are 11 teeth on the drive gear (PNC 33481), and anywhere from 27-32 teeth on the driven gear(PNC 33403) depending on drivetrain. Not sure if you have to replace as sets or not or if they're even interchangeable at all..

81 - 100 of 105 Posts