Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Trying to determine the determining attributes for drivetrain

-Rear diff is now an 8.75" ring gear, and has an optional locker,
but we have run into some that use an 8" ring gear. What is the determinant factor? Cab size, offroad package? build date?

-Front diff, 2 castings are listed. So far most use same internals as older models

Appears AT have 3.9 ratio and MT have 4.3 ratio.

“Talking Tacos – Watch Real Truck Guys Test the 2016 Toyota Tacoma’s, Toyota’s engineers will be answering questions !

Watch videos here: "Talking Tacos"

Post your questions below the videos about the new Tacoma and stay tuned for the answers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello: :smile
Would very much like to know if Toyota has finally solved their extreme Rust problems. I do not see any point in considering buying a new Toyota Tacoma (or a new Tundra), if these severe rust issues have still not been rectified. My 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 had the frame recall inspection & all the dealer did was apply the black **** over the frame without any kind of rust removal whatsoever first (as should have been done per Toyota Headquarters own instructions sent out to all their dealers). If this severe rust problem has finally been rectified, any links or PDF downloads which you can post here with more details about the solution of this huge problem would be most appreciated by all of us.

Thank you very much for your reply. :smile

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there going to be a TRD Pro edition with the Bilstein 2.5/Eibach combo?
I own a 2011 Nissan Titan, its been one of the best trucks I have ever owned. About a year ago I rode over a hard bump in the road and ever since then, I have a loud tapping (six times) inside the dashboard, either when the air conditioner is engaged or not. When I engage the heater, and put the thermostat temp into the red zone of the dial the thumping / knocking stops. How can I eliminate this "knocking / loud tapping" without a costly repair?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I own a 2011 Nissan Titan, its been one of the best trucks I have ever owned. About a year ago I rode over a hard bump in the road and ever since then, I have a loud tapping (six times) inside the dashboard, either when the air conditioner is engaged or not. When I engage the heater, and put the thermostat temp into the red zone of the dial the thumping / knocking stops. How can I eliminate this "knocking / loud tapping" without a costly repair?
Sounds like at least one of the 5 duct motors went out. It is possible to do on your own. I suggest searching youtube using the search terms "duct, actuator or motor clicking". See if you see anything that sounds like the symptoms you are describing. Good luck. It is a kind of sucky repair to do on your own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read that Toyota subbed out their frame to Dana Corp. which screwed up 2 things - poor quality metal and defective coating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read that Toyota subbed out their frame to Dana Corp. which screwed up 2 things - poor quality metal and defective coating.
Yep, it's a huge safety problem and no one can get a straight answer from anyone at Toyota: about whether or not those that only qualified for the black gunk coating will get a new frame when they get a frame failure (or a 10mm hole) or not. Nor has anyone from Toyota said if they finally solved their extreme rust problems once and for all yet. :frown

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's no reason why they shouldn't have solved it and it's to their advantage. The curious thing is how many years it went on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's no reason why they shouldn't have solved it and it's to their advantage. The curious thing is how many years it went on.
Yep. No one from Toyota making a statement, that their severe rust issues have been solved, is worrying though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts