Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a pace-edwards electric tailgate lock on. Works fine. BUT, what do I do if it fails? I am getting a Back-Flip cover that releases from underneath. Lock the tailgate and the cover is locked. So the cover is down, the tailgate is locked, and I blow a fuse or burn out the lock motor. My only option is to take a tire iron and tear something up!

Has any body come up with a better solution for this situation?

Pop lock also makes an electric lock, I assume it has the same problem. Does anybody make an electric tailgate lock with a Key backup?

Also the Toyota plastic latch doesn' seem all that sturdy, does anybody make a metal replacement?
This is on a 2004 double cab.

Thanks,:brickknoc

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
Check with Pace-Edwards to see if the lock actuator they sent you is fail safe or fail secure.. Fail Safe means if there is a power interruption (dead battery, blown fuse etc.) That the lock will automatically unlock, where-as fail secure is just the opposite, if there is a power interruption it will automatically lock.. You can purchase a 12 volt power actuator from almost any locksmith in either "fail" mode..

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a "locking" bed cover. It's a bakflip that locks by locking the tailgate. The pace edwards lock is a motor actuated lock similar to the door locks. It fails "as is" if it's locked, it stays locked, just like the doors. But unlike the doors, there is no key to open it.

I guess there is no ready made solution. I'll have to design my own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts