Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been experiencing a strong vibration in my truck for the last few weeks now. It is not very noticable in first or second gear, but in third gear the vibration suddenly gets stronger around 2500 rpm, smoothes out a bit, and then gets even worse after shifting into 4th gear(2000 rpm). It is by far the worst while under moderate or light throttle load in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. If you let off the throttle, the vibration seems to stop, then you put your foot into the throttle and its even worse. I'm no mechanic, but I'm guessing that it is something in the driveline. It had U-joints inspected at the mechanics and he said the U-joints were fine, even though i'm not quite convinced. Rear end maybe? What about a worn ball joint? Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
How about speed? How fast are you going when the vibration occurs? Does the vibration happen at 25 MPH in 3rd gear and 50 MPH in 3rd gear?

Do you have any suspension or steering modifications done?

When did this start? What changes did you make to your vehicle around that time?

Are your tires balanced?

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,246 Posts
(1) Welcome to CT! ... :waytogo:

(2) Can you localize the main vibration(s) (front / back / below / wheels), or is it 'everything all at once'?

I agree with wanting to get more info in response to the previously-posted questions ...

At first glance, I find myself fixating on the apparent facts that (a) it seems to be related to speed (rather than rpm's) and (b) it seems to be worst when the drivetrain is 'under load' ...

Two other off-the-wall theories (based on prior incidents on other vehicles) ...

- Clutch or related apparatus worn / warped / slipping under load. A long time ago a similar vibration issue I had turned out to be a pressure plate fault that was only bad enough to cause vibrations under load / in the vicinity of shift points.

- Slight 'axle wrap' - type distortions in a worn-out / overly soft rear suspension, causing vibrations when accelerating / shifting with throttle and dampening out as speed changed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the worst vibrations occur between 40 mph and 55 mph in 3rd 4th and 5th gears. barely noticeable in 2nd gear or not at all, and none in first. Also not very noticeable at lower speeds(below 35 mph) 5th gear i'd say is the worst around 45, 50 mph or so at around 1800-2000 rpm. 4th gear it will vibrate quite a bit too though. Vibration not noticeable 65+ mph. At higher speeds and in 5th gear it just feels like worn mud terrain tires (which I have, but it doesnt seem like tires would vibrate so strongly like this sort of vibration i am having. The cab and steering wheel shake pretty hard at times. I took my truck to les schwab the other day and had my tires balanced and rotated. Didn't help at all, but i found out my tie rod and rack and pinion were damaged and need replacing, as well as a bushing. I don't think this could be causing the vibration to me, but i'm not completely sure. I crawled under my truck today and turned my driveline and to me it seems like there is some movement in my rear U-joint, even though I just had brought it to a mechanic and told him the U-joints need replacing, but he said " nope, they are fine, just pumped all the grease fittings but the yoke was pretty dry too, so he greased that.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I had a similar problem a week or so ago, I replaced the outer u- joint and rebalanced all my tires. My vibrations were gone. If you have a rear brake problem like a stuck e-brake cable that may vibrate through the running gear amplifying more as it goes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
the worst vibrations occur between 40 mph and 55 mph in 3rd 4th and 5th gears. barely noticeable in 2nd gear or not at all, and none in first. Also not very noticeable at lower speeds(below 35 mph) 5th gear i'd say is the worst around 45, 50 mph or so at around 1800-2000 rpm. 4th gear it will vibrate quite a bit too though. Vibration not noticeable 65+ mph. At higher speeds and in 5th gear it just feels like worn mud terrain tires (which I have, but it doesnt seem like tires would vibrate so strongly like this sort of vibration i am having. The cab and steering wheel shake pretty hard at times. I took my truck to les schwab the other day and had my tires balanced and rotated. Didn't help at all, but i found out my tie rod and rack and pinion were damaged and need replacing, as well as a bushing. I don't think this could be causing the vibration to me, but i'm not completely sure. I crawled under my truck today and turned my driveline and to me it seems like there is some movement in my rear U-joint, even though I just had brought it to a mechanic and told him the U-joints need replacing, but he said " nope, they are fine, just pumped all the grease fittings but the yoke was pretty dry too, so he greased that.
maybe the worn mud terrains are the problem...i used to have the same vibration w/ my procomp muds....got wranger a/t's and it went away... :shrug:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem a week or so ago, I replaced the outer u- joint and rebalanced all my tires. My vibrations were gone. If you have a rear brake problem like a stuck e-brake cable that may vibrate through the running gear amplifying more as it goes.
I have the same problem. You're a genius ! My brake light also comes on but if I wiggle my brake the light goes off. i also noticed a little oil on my posts and on the inside where the axle gasket is so I need to change my seals. Is there a quick fix to stop the 2500-300rpm vibration while I wait for my axel parts ? my brake cable is only 5yrs old. Why would that cause it ?

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,246 Posts
If the brake cable or any of the moving parts it connects to on each end gets in a bind it will "stick" or "jam". Corrosion on the cable or the connecting parts can cause binding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.