Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering getting a long travel suspension kit, probably Camburg, for my 04 tacoma. The only thing holding me back right now is waiting for school to get out so I can go home to our shop and have all the tools I need, and also choosing shocks. Fox bypass shocks perhaps? :headbang:

Just a few things I wanted to check out first. It's my understanding that the tundra front axles can be modified to keep 4WD, and I'm sure I can figure out what exactlly needs to be done to them. But in the interest of turning my truck into a full on desert racing machine, to pre run the baja 1000 next year, (so we can go back and race it in a stock beetle :silly:), and in general to have a wicked good time in the desert south west, does anyone know of a place that will make custom 4340 shafts for IFS vehicles?

Also does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to the rear. Tundra TRD axle perhaps?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I cant help you out....but maybe you should try DezertRangers.com or even try TTORA in the "Dezert Section"

Im sure youll find your answer. Good luck and post pics please when youre done

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
SantacruzRC said:
I'm seriously considering getting a long travel suspension kit, probably Camburg, for my 04 tacoma. The only thing holding me back right now is waiting for school to get out so I can go home to our shop and have all the tools I need, and also choosing shocks. Fox bypass shocks perhaps? :headbang:

Just a few things I wanted to check out first. It's my understanding that the tundra front axles can be modified to keep 4WD, and I'm sure I can figure out what exactlly needs to be done to them. But in the interest of turning my truck into a full on desert racing machine, to pre run the baja 1000 next year, (so we can go back and race it in a stock beetle :silly:), and in general to have a wicked good time in the desert south west, does anyone know of a place that will make custom 4340 shafts for IFS vehicles?

Also does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to the rear. Tundra TRD axle perhaps?
U have to use the tundra axels and im not sure if they would have to be modified or not.... i would go with the king-coilovers on my truck but foxes are good to and it would have to be the resivor ones not the bypasses for the front u need the spring... and yes ttora and dezertrangers would be the perfect place for you to go and use the "SEARCH" button a lot. There is a lot of people that have done the same set up your looking at so good luck and use the search...
The Tundra TRD axle would be awsome that is what im going to get done also it is wider about 66-68 inches total not sure and you would need glass about 4.5 inches over and it alreay hace the LSD in the rear so less parts and there is the ABS to and I would disconnect that if it was me and comes stock with 3.91's witch would have to be changed if your going to go with a bigger than 31in tire.... Sound like you are going to have a killer set up keep us posted here on "CT" of how is coming a long...

·
ChocoTaco
2,491 Posts
as far as the front axles goes, TC has them alreaddy modified. check out their site...

www.chaosfab.com

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
definately check out the article that TLT did.....TC and Camburg offer the axles at around $800 IIRC....you can save A LOT of money by modifying them yourself

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
You are first going to want a coilover for the front and you could put a bypass up in front if you wanted along with a bump. unless you are running a torsion bar you need a coil.

First off, for your project, How serious are you and how hard are u going to be prerunning? How far are you gonig to take this truck? 40 gallon fuel cell? caged front to back? full communication and gps on board? full suspension?

How much money do you have to spend on your truck? A good place to start would be to make a list a price everything out. There are alot of people who just throw on a LT package up front and forget about the back because the front cost them 5g and they are over it. The back is going to cost at least that as well if you are going to do it right. If you are going to be doing any prerunning or screwing around a cage is a must. If you are going to do your own fab it will cut cost down in half.

Since your intentions are to make it into a "full on desert racing machine" pick up either a score or mdr book and start from their with the cage. 1.75 with a .120 wall for the main and 1.50 .120 for the cross members. Be sure to make it to spec or they will take a look at it and send you away and you will do it all over again ( It happend to me)

Next their are plenty of places that will do axles but with a TC or burg kit you should just need either the t-100 or the tundra axles. New oem on them is about 800. You want the tundra ones because their cv joints go all the way to 45 deg unlike the tacoma ones that go to 35 deg.

For the rear I would go with a currie 9' with a locker and geared down at least 4:88. Are you keeping it leaf sprung or are u going to link it ?
There is alot that goes into a real prerun truck. Think it through and price it out is all I have to say. We are all here to help and their are plenty of write-ups on the same thing. Good luck

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
WHAT HAPPENED said:
Well said Buff's Taco :waytogo: :waytogo:
Thanks, I went through the same thing, wanting a prerunner now its not even street legal ha time to go race i guess. I didnt have a clue what the over all cost was untill I was way over my head and the only want to finish was to go forward.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts