Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1999 2wd 5 speed Tacoma will not start unless the check engine light is on. I have to turn the key over and wait for it to come on then it will start. If it’s not on it will turn over but not start. When it’s warmed up the light will come on right away

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,820 Posts
Welcome to CT!

Which engine?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,820 Posts
In general ... The check engine light (CEL) should light up in your instrument cluster whenever you turn the ignition switch to the 'On' position. If you turn the switch to the 'Start' position the lamp should remain lit until the ECM gets the engine running.

The CEL isn't controlled directly by the ignition switch. It's controlled by the ECM, which gets power when the ignition switch is in the 'On' position.

It sounds to me as if the ECM isn't getting power or powering up whenever the light isn't coming on. The engine isn't going to kick over unless the ECM is working.

This suggests it could be as simple as a wiring / grounding fault between the ignition switch and the ECM rather than anything directly involving the CEL. It's conceivable it could be a bad contact inside the ignition switch or a bad connection leading from the ignition switch to the ECM (which is entirely separate from the connection leading to the starter).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts