Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to swap my cluster out for one with a tach. Is there a difference between clusters from 6 cyl and 4 cyl models? Also, what about transmission type, any difference there? I have a '02 with a manual tranny. Thanks!

·
Registered
856 Posts
i actually have done this, i have a '98 4banger w/o tach guage, and swapped in a '01 w/ tach cluster from a v6. everything worked and plugged up perfectly. the only thing is that the rpms on register 2/3 of the actually engine rpm. this is b/c there are 1/3 less pulses since the cluster is from a v6.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Hello, i just wanted to share. My truck is a 98 2wd no tach, part# 83800-04110 tach/speedo from a 98 4x4 4cyl manual works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did any of you folks need to program the vehicle's mileage into the new cluster or did it magically change? I have to replace my cluster and just wanted to check. I read the vehicle mileage is stored in the ECU but I don't know if it pushes that odometer reading into the gauges directly

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,972 Posts
To remain legal a replacement odometer must reflect the actual mileage. Specialty speedometer shops (and presumably Toyota dealerships) can handle this if it's necessary.

The odo function is never really addressed in the factory documentation, and the odo isn't mentioned or illustrated in the Wiring Manual. Because of this I'm uncertain as to where and how the actual mileage is stored.

Reactions: pimpRunner

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
To remain legal a replacement odometer must reflect the actual mileage. Specialty speedometer shops (and presumably Toyota dealerships) can handle this if it's necessary.

The odo function is never really addressed in the factory documentation, and the odo isn't mentioned or illustrated in the Wiring Manual. Because of this I'm uncertain as to where and how the actual mileage is stored.
It seems crazy but the mileage is stored in some sort of memory module inside the cluster. I've never heard of anyone adjusting the mileage on a used cluster that they swapped into their truck. (this is not to say it's not possible, I've just personally never seen it done, I'd inquire at a dealership to see if it's possible...although I think it's not probable due to people abusing that power...but again, pure speculation on my part, and wouldn't hurt to explain your situation and ask)

to OP - The other option you have is just to send your cluster off for repair. Several options on eBay and the like where you mail it in and they do the repairs and send it back.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Pretty sure they are still a rolling display (analog) and therefor only stored in cluster. I am interested in this as it may be a more cost effective way for me to add a tach and keep that original look (don't need a 5 inch racer boy tech but knowing rpm would be nice).
Following

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Pretty sure they are still a rolling display (analog) and therefor only stored in cluster. I am interested in this as it may be a more cost effective way for me to add a tach and keep that original look (don't need a 5 inch racer boy tech but knowing rpm would be nice).
Following
01-04 clusters are digital with a backlit led display

Reactions: pimpRunner

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Ah. Should still be in the cluster where the mileage is stored. Check through the computer and see if u can find mileage. Of not its stored in volatile memory in cluster
I had a camaro years ago. Out in the desert almost hit my warranty limit. I pulled my cluster and threw in back seat. Drove for a few weeks then installed and drove to dealer. Got my issues addressed and no one the wiser.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
not sure the year of the camaro you had but if any vehicle has an electronic sensor for the speedo...just unplug the sensor....it'll stop wracking up miles... ask me how I know, lmao

1 - 12 of 12 Posts