Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
Repost, and btw, XRs don't come with DRLs...

I love posting repost hahah...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the repost.
BTW - mine did come with DRL's - hahaha :selfbonk:

Only in Canada you say... Pity! (jk)

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
I'm just giving you grief :D I repost a lot myself haha...

It's law in Canada to have DRLs though right? None of the USDM ones have it as far as I know...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, they are mandatory by law up here.
The front turn signals are used as DRL's.
They are really bright. It light's up a stop sign from a 100 ft.
Gives everything a nice yellow glow.

Too bad they don't stay on when I turn on the headlights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
DRL's are standard on Canadian vehicles. Optional on US vehicles. I'm not 100% sure about the X-runner because out of the 330 to 350 we build a shift only 10 to 15 of them are X-runners. Not many X's going to Canada though.

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
So is that part put on at the factory or is that put on at the dealer when they get to Canada?

So if one wants to drive to Canda with US plates, do they have to have DRLs or they get a ticket?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the numbers for XRs sold in Canada this year as of June 2006.

You only need the DRLs if the vehicle is registered in Canada.
This has been a requirement since 1990, but I still see newer cars driving without them.
The owners must be disabling them, which is a stupid thing to do.
You get used to having to just glance briefly for oncoming vehicles DRLs when pulling onto a road at dusk ot on a dull rainy day, so these people are just an accident waiting to happen.

·
Banned from Auto*****s.co
2,790 Posts
I think it's a good idea to do the same in the states... only makes things safer...

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
Well for a metropolis like the one I'm living in, there are enough street lights in the city to never even require you to turn on your headlights during midnight...

I would agree for the backroads and what not where there isn't a street light in sight...

DRLs don't bother me much, it's a wonder why we don't have it as a law either... One bad thing is, it does mess with your aftermarket options... Since you have to account for the DRL wiring and such when going aftermarket...

·
Registered
319 Posts
As I understand it, the DRL system can be activated by simply installing a missing relay at the dealer; makes the turn signal lights stay on unless blinking. A few regular Tacos here in Dallas i've noticed have them on.
They have tried to make DRL's a law, but so far it can't be proved one way or the other that they save any lives. During periods of poor illumination, I usually turn on at least my parking lights so people know where I am; and doing that, turns on my REAR lights which DRL's don't. And in Texas, that's needed becuase people seem to get rear-ended a lot here.

·
Registered
688 Posts
For those who think DRLs are safe, check out this website that claim they are not as safe as you would think. http://www.lightsout.org/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts