Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I am fairly new to the taco community and looking to get started on this 1996 Tacoma 2wd I picked up a few months ago. Originally it was going to be for my son, but I learned to drive on an 89 t100 and I have fallen in love with it. It has seen better days on mileage and maintenance and wondering if anyone can shoot me recommendations.

The front suspension is rough as it has almost 300k on it and looking for some rebuild, refresh to just knock out the entire front end left and right. However, in doing so I want to lower it properly add some handling improvements and replace the shocks.

The rear suspension is sagging on the driver's side and pretty sure it's a leaf spring that has taken a poop. Again recommendation for improvements and replacement for shocks, leaf springs and to lower it all together.

I have been looking at Belltech but there is no like complete kit that I can find.

Like every vehicle I own this truck will end up with crazy engine mods and fast as can be at some point lol.

· Mambeau / Admin
48,299 Posts
Let's start with what you're wanting to accomplish ... How low do you want to take the Taco, and how drive-able (toss-able; tight-handling) do you want the lowered version to be?

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey Dereck, I have had a 1996 2wd Tacoma for years. I have a 3" body lift and 3" Suspension lift. I used Fabtech suspension. Another company I would recommend getting items through is LC Engineering, I have added full flow exhaust (including headers) and a cold air intake kit. Good luck with your build. [/QUOTE
Hey Dereck, I have had a 1996 2wd Tacoma for years. I have a 3" body lift and 3" Suspension lift. I used Fabtech suspension. Another company I would recommend getting items through is LC Engineering, I have added full flow exhaust (including headers) and a cold air intake kit. Good luck with your build.
can I see what your cold air intake looks like? And what’s a full flow exhaust? What parts exactly did you get from fabtech? I was gonna get a 3” spindle for the front and 2” shackle for the back.

· Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,256 Posts
I'm running belltech springs in front and 3 inch block with cut bumps tops in rear. Momomax shocks, new leafs and new arms (control and radius) in front. Feels pretty tight but even on 45 series rubber still pretty decent ride

· Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,256 Posts
The belltech springs are 2 inch, but are ment for the v6. Dropped my front about 1.6-1.17 inch but that was on my oe springs (225k miles)
On the control and radius? I replaced with oem type parts, mostly rockauto control and radius arms and already replaced ball joints upper and lower.
Firestone was able to align (even into the green) so I know it's not that aggressive on the angles. Upper control arm bushings looked great so I just painted it a bit and sent it.
As far as photos, I don't have any of the install(was on a time crunch since I was borrowing a shop lift) but I can get one of my truck when it's lite out (need to take my truck out and get some shots)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think my final suspension is going to look like this. Finding information for these trucks is rough on a good suspension setup that isn't being lifted.

Front Suspension
QA1 GS401
QA1 8MB600 (I have a 2.4 and wanting a stiffer ride than normal, will these bottom out or destroy these shocks being less than 10")
MOOG K90260 Ball Joint
MOOG K90261 Ball Joint
MOOG RK623055 Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly
MOOG RK623054 Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly
MOOG K200125 Control Arm Bushing - 2X
Moog K100183 Rack and Pinion
Moog K100186 Rack and Pinion Bellows
MOOG EV409 Tie Rod End -2X
MOOG ES80309 Tie Rod End - 2X
MOOG K90250 Stabilizer Bar Link Kit -2X
Adapter Plates (Not sure where to buy these now but if someone has dimensions, I can have them cut out.)

Rear Suspension
QA1 TS504 - QA1 Stocker Star Shocks
Belltech 5978 - Belltech Lowering Multi-Pack Leaf Springs

Anyone run a similar setup or see any issues with this or parts I am missing? I am rebuilding the entire front suspension at the same time as the truck has almost 300k miles on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts