Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new supercharger (the black one) along with the URD mods on my 2004 Tacoma this past February. Since then I have put approx. 10,000 miles on it.

One month ago, I noticed a small leak coming from somewhere around the nose drive area but I have been unable to pinpoint it. It doesn't appear to be coming out around the gasket where the nose drive assembly bolts to the supercharger body. I'm assuming it must be coming out from right behind the pulley.

I've searched and searched the threads about oil leaks but haven't found an answer as to exactly where these things usually leak. Is there a gasket or something else that can be replaced directly behind the pulley or ??

I'd really appreaciate any help. I know these things only hold 4 oz of oil and I need to get it fixed ASAP.

I'm assuming I'm still under my 1 year warranty (for installing it myself) but I'm not sure how TRD would handle it. I don't want to have to remove it and send it off somewhere if I don't have to. I'm hoping it will be easier to just deal with it myself.

I contacted TRDparts4u.com (where I purchased it from) and they said that TRD says it's normal. Leaking oil doesn't seem normal to me unless there's a mechanical means to continually replenish what's been lost.

Thanks again.

Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the older model the gray one, but it seeps out oil also around the area behind the pulley. I believe it is normal for there to be a little seepage, but if it is leaking a lot, something may be wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It might be that toyota has the belt tension set a smidge to tight and its pulling down to much on the shaft wearing the bushing down, and just increased the gap. does it have a synthetic oil in it? and can you adjust the belt tension at all?

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
You can core exchange the entire nose drive for a reasonable price through the dealer. They will have the TRD part number for the kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cursed4ever2004 said:
It might be that toyota has the belt tension set a smidge to tight and its pulling down to much on the shaft wearing the bushing down, and just increased the gap. does it have a synthetic oil in it? and can you adjust the belt tension at all?
My supercharger came with the belt tensioner so there isn't really anything to adjust for the tension..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jonathan said:
is it a leak, or just dirt stuck to a oily spot. if its the second, i would not worry about it. just like all cases on a dirtbike, mosture can seep through a little and dirt will stick. doesnt mean there is a oil leak though, might want to check on that.
It's definitely oil and it's pretty much only covering the nose drive assembly. It's really light though - not a heavy leak.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
cheez said:
It's definitely oil and it's pretty much only covering the nose drive assembly. It's really light though - not a heavy leak.
wipe it off, and see how long till it comes back. it doesnt sound like anything i would be too worried about, ive seen that little dirty spot on alot of s/c's

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
cheez said:
My supercharger came with the belt tensioner so there isn't really anything to adjust for the tension..
There is still an adjustment you can make on the alternator I believe. You can get problems with it to loose or to tight. Best bet use a tension gauge (80lbs? I believe)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jonathan said:
wipe it off, and see how long till it comes back. it doesnt sound like anything i would be too worried about, ive seen that little dirty spot on alot of s/c's
I've done that about three times now. It seems to come back in about a week or so. That's why it's been so hard to track down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ramphonic said:
There is still an adjustment you can make on the alternator I believe. You can get problems with it to loose or to tight. Best bet use a tension gauge (80lbs? I believe)
The tension is fine. There is still plenty of room on the belt tensioner for play in either direction.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the same issue. The nose cone of the TRD supercharger has a tendency to discharge some kind of lubricant, it is more grimmy than oily, kind of looks like dirt. I noticed this years ago and talked to a Toyota Master Tech about it. He said that it was normal. I did express to him that I didn't believe any kind of leak was 'normal' but he assured me that it was not a problematic issue. To the master tech's credit, my dad has a supercharged 4runner with the same V6 engine with well over 100,000 miles on it and he has had the same nose cone 'leak' for years; He has never had any supercharger issues and the boost is constant. I have had my supercharger for 3 years and over 60,000 miles and have had absolutely no mechanical issues. Just wipe it clean every once in a while. :waytogo:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'm just going to replace the gasket behind the pulley. It's only a few bucks and should be relatively easy. That's the only place it appears it could be leaking from. I wonder if not having a nose support bracket is part of the issue...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts