Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
URD's SC is not legal on CA streets. So what makes the TRD any different? Does anyone know the technicalities(In CA) that makes SC/Turbo ok in vehicles. I know that it is mainly emissions based- but does it have to be installed at an authorized place or what? There are a lot of turbo/sc vehicles in Ca ...i.e. WRX, EVO, Lightning for example- So what makes these ok and some aftermarket applications illegal?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
ian01 said:
URD's SC is not legal on CA streets. So what makes the TRD any different? Does anyone know the technicalities(In CA) that makes SC/Turbo ok in vehicles. I know that it is mainly emissions based- but does it have to be installed at an authorized place or what? There are a lot of turbo/sc vehicles in Ca ...i.e. WRX, EVO, Lightning for example- So what makes these ok and some aftermarket applications illegal?

Thanks
In order to be legal in California the vehicle must be tested at a emission lab to prove that the vehicle does not produce any more emissions then the allowed amount. This is a expensive test and some supercharger manufacturers choose not to test because of cost and other just can't get it to pass.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Ya and its illegal to drive over the speed limit and smoke pot but i don't give a ****? So do the cops like do random checks under the hood for like ILLEGAL STUFF in Cali ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
h2oplaydamian said:
Ya and its illegal to drive over the speed limit and smoke pot but i don't give a ****? So do the cops like do random checks under the hood for like ILLEGAL STUFF in Cali ?

We will eventually have to take a SMOG TEST..........I refuse to have it smogged by a "friend"............I like to role legit

·
Registered
101 Posts
ian01 said:

Thanks
need to be CARB certified for it to be legal. TRD is certified

·
Registered
218 Posts
h2oplaydamian said:
So do the cops like do random checks under the hood for like ILLEGAL STUFF in Cali ?
not to my knowlege ... my friend got stopped n he has a show car .. a 01 civic ... but he was bumping and he looked at a cop straight in the eye ... so the cop asked to look under his hood ... so i guess if you dont cause attention you are oka ... but what cops will know what URD is??? i doubt many will know

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
ian01 said:
We will eventually have to take a SMOG TEST..........I refuse to have it smogged by a "friend"............I like to role legit
I like a fully street legal truck too, but damn dude, street legal nowadays means stock...

You're not going to have much fun staying 100% street legal...

The best legal you can be right now is take it off quickly legal... This means if you can take what you put on in a day to revert it back to legal, THAT'S where you want to be at...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Not for sure but the urd has a by pass so if your not using the boost it blows off, so I think the truck would pass the smog but not the visual :shrug: and then it would come down to how the smog guy is (i think)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts