Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I was driving and listening to music today, and everything was fine. After shutting off my truck to go inside a store, I come back, turn it on, and the sub just makes a very loud static/distortion noises for a while, while moving probably to the minimum and maximum distance that it can. It then becomes silent and starts up again after a short time. I checked all of the connections, and the protect light is not on on the amp itself. Also, the HU is fine and plays music like it should. I guess that my amp is to blame. It is about 2 years old, bought from circuit city for lime $50 and I think Verge is the brand name. Am I right in blaming the amp, and is there anything I can do besides replacing it? Thanks.

Dmitry

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Strange...after driving some more and listening to music with the sub not working, it kicked on and seems to work fine now. Any ideas on what may be going on? Thanks.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Back in the day I had my subs do somethin' pretty similar to that...and the amp was to blame. Can't remember what brand it was now, but it was somethin' cheap but claimed to be 2 ohm stable. Anyway, long story short, I was running it at 2 ohms which overheated it. For about a week it did what you were describing, then went kaput.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, i also think that it only temporarily works. Although, heat would not be to blame in my case, the amp was totally cold when it ran, and would only really get hot during the summer. But it supposedly has a temperature protection feature. Well, I'll keep running it until it blows completely, but I don't think I'll buy a new one. I guess I've outgrown that stage of my life.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Who installed the amp? Im curious to know how your rca and and power wires are ran...hopefully on opposite sides of the car, if all your cables, or even a power, ground, or remote wire are ran in sequence with your rca's that could be a contributing factor to the problem...I would recommend going to 12volt.com and asking someone there, I have heard of this problem before but cannot remember the proper troubleshooting procedures...sorry I cant be much more help...good luck and try my suggestions

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did all of installation work myself, and I ran the power wire on one side of the passenger seat, and the rest of the wires on the opposite side of the seat. I haven't had any issues for 2 years with this setup, so I don't think its a wiring problem. I checked all of the wires except for the RCAs out of the back of the HU, and everything is tight and corrosion free. THe weird thing is that after listening to music with the amp on (just not working properly) it kicked on after about 10 mins, and seems to be fine now, so I have to wait until the problem comes back before doing any more troubleshooting. But simply because it was a very cheap amp, $50 I think (puts out 215 watts to power a sub), I think its the reason for the problem. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts