Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i put an exhaust,intake, and headers will it take off the stupid govenor thing. I hate when my truck shuts off.

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
It is in the ECU. EL Prototypes may have an ECU that has the limit reset farther back or removed. I think I last saw it on gadet's website. You might want to check the out ELPs site in the Links section. I'm looking to get rid of it myself. All your mods will just get you to the limiter faster.

·
Registered
73 Posts
No, it won't, it's in the computer.. but do you really need to go over 105?? (i think that's what it's at, right?) Mine is at 120 :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I know a quick trick to fix the gov. problem. Disconnect the speedometer harness at the transmission. It is very simple to do! However, you can only run it like this for about 100 miles. Then your engine light will come on(if light does come on disconnect the battery, wait 5 mins. and reconnect it). Be careful though, these truck really aren't made for those kind of speeds.

·
il padrino
5,165 Posts
No, you don't really need to go that fast, but it is fun! I get real leery around that speed anyway. Looks like the guys with the regular Tacos (and superchargers) got screwed a little with the limiter compared to the S Runners. I wonder if I could swap the ECU... hmmmm. Oh well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jesus man. Take it easy. Let my four reckless tickets of experience tell you that speeding just isn't worth it. especially with a higher center of gravity like a truck. Sheesh.

Kind of hard to enjoy your modified Taco when you're dead. Hard for your friends and family to enjoy your hobby when you don't survive. Be safe out there man. Even on a track those speeds aren't safe for a truck.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Peer guy, of course it is not wise to experiment high speeds in a high center of gravity vehicle. I don't think these people are ignorant. However, with the right equipment and conditions, it is easily controlable. I'm not saying, everyone try this! Anyways, you can die going 10 mph.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
What does the govener do when you hit the limit? Shut the engine off? I've takin' my '95 'coma up to 110 MPH and I haven't noticed anything shuting of or anything like that. Just curious.
The only reason I don't drive that fast usually is because it takes my truck a while to get up that fast :).
BTW, what is the recomended shiting point (rpms) for a 2.4L manual taco? I ask because I bought my truck used and it has no manual. I usually shift between 3 and 4 but I was just wondering what is SUGGESTED by toyota.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when i reach 105 my engine sounds like it shuts off and it feels like it brakes. it doesnt take me that long to reach this speed. i dont know what rpms to shift. i usually take my gears far. in 1st:30,2nd:50,3rd:75,4th:105 and thats as fast as it will go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got my best 1/4 miel time shifting around 5200-5300rpm... shifting at 4800 puts you too far down in the rev range after the shift.. it's all about the area under the power curve...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

Get the A'PEXi REV/SPEED Controller... by-passes the govenor only $ 100....taps into your computer.. very simple wiring.. not only that u can use it to test and tune your truck along with the A'PEXi Super AFC with you can controll your fuel and air ratio

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
where did you get the super afc and the rev/speed controller??and how much for both. im really interested. thanks alot

1 - 20 of 26 Posts