Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's been around for 4 or 5 years that I know of... gets beaten up a lot in all the car forums, but seldom by anyone that owns it, or has driven a vehicle with it installed. It is not meant as a drag or competition turbo system. It is meant for people to install easily, without cutting up much of your stock setup. This allows going back to stock config very easily, for selling or inspection purposes. The system also is a work-around for tight engine bays, or to avoid the high heat environment of some setups.
The rap on STS is that most turbo systems are built to minimize heat and pressure loss, and conventional wisdom leads you to believe that it wouldnt be a very effective system. It is NOT as Efficient as most others, but it is pretty darn Effective. While it is not marketed as a competition system, that hasnt stopped many trucks, F-bodies, GTO's, and others from getting some pretty significant numbers out of it, both on the dyno and the track. I have seen several full-size trucks in the low 12's, and a couple of Camero or Firebirds pushing 800 or more horses.
If it has a weak point, I would think it is the turbo oiling system. Seems like something that someone could remedy fairly easily tho.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Probably a bad/repetitive subject because you have to know a trick to search for a keyword that is 3 words. Use the * after 3 letter words acronyms to search for these. (Example: STS* will get you multiple hits, but STS will get you none because it's too short.)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
For the truck in the vids to be turbo'd it was pretty weak. :shrug: When I had my s/c on mine at 9psi and tuned it would have killed that turbo truck. Especially from 55ish mph and higher.......... All I gotta say is that I hope that my turbo does better than that..................:confused:

·
Registered
135 Posts
trdtoy said:
For the truck in the vids to be turbo'd it was pretty weak. :shrug: When I had my s/c on mine at 9psi and tuned it would have killed that turbo truck. Especially from 55ish mph and higher.......... All I gotta say is that I hope that my turbo does better than that..................:confused:
I had trd supercharger and urd fueling upgrade kit, 2.2" pulley, water/methanol injection, etc; Don't come close to my truck now period. Those vids were at low psi. I'm at 12psi now but clutch can't take it. I kill all the trd supercharged trucks around even trd supercharged tundras (just ran one last wednesday at the track, with clutch slipping from half track on, still beat him by over 1 second). So have you ever driven a truck with one installed? I will answer for you. NO! Bench racing is just talking, and you looking at a video and saying your truck could beat it is just lame, especially with an auto tranny. Did it look like I was trying to go wide open? It was a couple of quick shifts first to second then back off so I don't get thrown in jail. Went side by side with magnum srt wagon the same night as the tundra, actually I was slowly gaining on him after he jumped the light. On the way home from the track with my friend behind me I went against a Brand new bmw Z4 3.0i still had paper plates on it. he waited until we were in a turn at 90 before he dropped the hammer thinking he would out handle me. I still blew by him and didn't back off till 118 looking back I had five or six cars on him. so blah, blah, blah You're right Gadget this subject gets beat up pretty bad, blah, blah. And not that it matters but my truck is a 4x4 with mud terrains, and 300 plus pound stereo system, 100 pounds worth of batteries, and a bunch of recovery gear. The recovery gear is for all the people who think they know it all but for some reason i'm getting them out. Same as usual everyone knows everything without hands-on experience I think i'm getting tired of this forum crap.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
TJS TACO said:
I had trd supercharger and urd fueling upgrade kit, 2.2" pulley, water/methanol injection, etc; Don't come close to my truck now period. Those vids were at low psi. I'm at 12psi now but clutch can't take it. I kill all the trd supercharged trucks around even trd supercharged tundras (just ran one last wednesday at the track, with clutch slipping from half track on, still beat him by over 1 second). So have you ever driven a truck with one installed? I will answer for you. NO! Bench racing is just talking, and you looking at a video and saying your truck could beat it is just lame, especially with an auto tranny. Did it look like I was trying to go wide open? It was a couple of quick shifts first to second then back off so I don't get thrown in jail. Went side by side with magnum srt wagon the same night as the tundra, actually I was slowly gaining on him after he jumped the light. On the way home from the track with my friend behind me I went against a Brand new bmw Z4 3.0i still had paper plates on it. he waited until we were in a turn at 90 before he dropped the hammer thinking he would out handle me. I still blew by him and didn't back off till 118 looking back I had five or six cars on him. so blah, blah, blah You're right Gadget this subject gets beat up pretty bad, blah, blah. And not that it matters but my truck is a 4x4 with mud terrains, and 300 plus pound stereo system, 100 pounds worth of batteries, and a bunch of recovery gear. The recovery gear is for all the people who think they know it all but for some reason i'm getting them out. Same as usual everyone knows everything without hands-on experience I think i'm getting tired of this forum crap.:rolleyes:
then post some slips or dyno numbers:waytogo:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
TJ- chillax man... everyone is entitled to their own opinion... let it be... but honestly though- your truck is quick but you have got to run a properly setup S/C system with URD- I'm sure it will be a very close race... When the truck was still running I had a run in with an STS 4.3 S-Dime... I rained all over his parade, and he was running "12psi" again so was I, and spanked him like he was stock, it has everything to with the setup so, keep that in mind! Every system is capable of great gains!

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
FIR- this guys truck is faster than yours and 4x4 don't trip! I believe it's fast, but as faster- or maybe even a little faster than a properly tuned URD s/c tacoma in the same trim!

·
Registered
14,487 Posts

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
Not necessarily, but from sheer physics alone, and air flow you have to believe he's at least capable of high 13's on his setup... so by no means is his system "unimpressive"

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,933 Posts
Firdaddy said:
i wasnt implying i was faster than him.. but if he has a problem with us talkgin **** abotu his overpriced system he needs to post up some real world numbers to bacjk up his "investment"
Well, lots of people haven't posted numbers (me included, other than my March dyno results) so- numbers don't mean anything- I think TJ's system needs to be tested in a lower altitude to tell for sure... simple as that! So TJ get you a new clutch, and show these folks... but if your wrong- you better be ready for the ribbing!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts