Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so my gas mileage sucks, and my power of my truck with 33's sucks. I wanted a supercharger to up the HP, but that will just kill my fuel economy more. I found this turbocharging system and thought it can give me the best of both worlds. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience, or knew someone with experience with the kit. Its made by STS, here is the link:

http://www.ststurbo.com/tacoma

Yes I realize that you can fill your tank alot for $3500, fuel economy isn't the real purpose of it, its just kinda a perk. The sound clips sound really cool too, especially the one with the blowoff valve.

Josh

·
more Ψ
2,682 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Let all these guys talk thier crap, but have they ever driven in a tacoma with the sts system installed? More than likely NO. Nothing is lamer than dissing a product without any true hands on experience. :rolleyes: I'm not saying speed factory's kit won't be bad ass, just that the sts system doesn't suck. I'm still tuning my truck but check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXmr4ClwEww
I'm no where near the max capabilities of the turbo or my motor just taking my time and being cautious slowly upping the boost. If anyone thinks my truck is slow for a 4x4 on mud terrains with a 225lb speaker box (subs and amps included), 100lbs worth of batteries, and 200lbs worth of recovery gear. I can pull it all out along with my spare tires, and turn up the boost.
So let's hear everyone respond, telling me I'm full of crap, and I don't know what I'm talking about. I live in So Cal. come over and go for a ride and maybe you will change your "opinion".
I'm not trying to get into a heated debate, just enlighten. :burnout:

·
back in black (tacoma)!
6,238 Posts
I am sure the STS doesnt suck. Its just not an ideal setup, but hey, if it gets the job done, thats all you have to worry about. It is lame to talk crap with out experience, and esecially in a case such as this where the critics probably dont have experience with turbos at all, let alone the sts system.

PS: Id rather an STS type setup over a supercharger (but not over my current setup!)

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
Most of what people know about the STS Turbo system is what they have been told by people that have owned them. When people tell their own first hand experience with that system and a few of them have removed it and gone back to the TRD Supercharger that would tend to make most people think that the system is not all it is claimed to be.

I have seen one in person and I gave the shop that installed it a lot of tech support when they had all kinds of drivability issues with the system. They had a lot of fueling and engine management problems which I helped them fix with some URD fuel and control devices. When it was all done the truck did run well, but it did not have an impressive dyno and even after all the money spent there were several other Tacomas that were dynoed at that same shop with the TRD supercharger and our fuel systems and the power was close to the same peak. However on the street the TRD Supercharger with our fuel systems ran away from the STS system since they did not have any lag.

The customer with the STS did spend the extra money on the "high boost" option.

So, there is another point of view.

There is a lot I like about the STS system and it should lend itself for easy CARB approval and I am suprised they have not done so. If you want an easy to install turbo system you should take a look at the STS. They have come up with a very slick way of putting a turbo on one of these trucks. The worst problem I have heard with one on a Tacoma was the oil scavange pump failed and it was leaving a James Bond style smoke screen everywhere it went. He was having some issues getting STS to honor the warranty on it, but I am not sure what the issues on that was.

Anyway, if you get the STS system keep in mind URD can help you tune and fuel it properly so you can get the most out of it.

Gadget

·
Registered
135 Posts
AHH!, Forgot to mention the only reason I don't have any drivability problems is I have URD products installed. Ftc-1, 255lph fuel pump, 318cc bosch injectors, rear o2 sensor simulator, speed unlimiter, etc...
I had a trd supercharger, sold it, my buddy has my old 2.2' pulley and methanol injection but no comparison. Yeah he get's me on the jump, that's it then I motor right by him.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Another thing I forgot to mention, STS instructions suck! They are revamping them now that I gave them a rash of ****! Once you get through the lame instructions, it's a straight forward install. As with any "kit" money is always an issue for the company making it, and I did change a handfull of items to bring them up to my standards. Bottom line it's all about trial and error, and enjoying time spent with your buddies working on your pride and joy. The end result is almost always a blast! Boost on!:burnout:

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
TJS TACO said:
Another thing I forgot to mention, STS instructions suck! They are revamping them now that I gave them a rash of ****! Once you get through the lame instructions, it's a straight forward install. As with any "kit" money is always an issue for the company making it, and I did change a handfull of items to bring them up to my standards. Bottom line it's all about trial and error, and enjoying time spent with your buddies working on your pride and joy. The end result is almost always a blast! Boost on!:burnout:
it looks very impressive from that video. lets see what kind of numbers it puts down tomorrow!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to the people who actually gave me some useful info. I too don't understand why anyone would rag on a system without any first hand experience. The item that lead me to the STS system was the fact that it is a remote system. Yes you do loose a bit of pressure, but the temperature drop from the turbo to the intake is amazing.

Are there any more systems that people know of besides the STS or the other one posted above?

I don't believe in superchargers, they are dependent on speed and not load, also you are cutting down your brake hp to gain hp, where as the turbo setup is essentially "free." So the TRD supercharger is not an option for me.

·
more Ψ
2,682 Posts
Free Horsepower??
Tell that to your wallet when you are done!!

I get boost right outta the hole, when you'll be waiting for that snail to spool.

·
back in black (tacoma)!
6,238 Posts
M3Man02 said:
he item that lead me to the STS system was the fact that it is a remote system. Yes you do loose a bit of pressure, but the temperature drop from the turbo to the intake is amazing.
An intercooler will cool in a far more "amazing" manner than 20 ft of pipe.

Besides, my biggest concern with the system is the oil return setup, not the lag.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i too hate it when people who have never used a product rag on it just because it is different. the sts is not the best nor is it the baddest sytem out there. but i can say it is a kind of cool system because there is very little modification to under the hood. i have seen and ridden in sts vehicles and it isnt bad at all for what you get. but it could be better of course.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have the sts kit on my toyota matrix xrs. it runs just 5lbs of boost due the compression on the 2zzge which is 11.5:1. cant run alot. i have over 15000 miles on it and runs great. daily driven in seattle area where it does rain occasionally. the charge pipe acts as the intercooler and i had it coated by performancecoatings.com to keep that temp down. it runs parallel with the exhaust system. we did have to change to exhaust system by getting smaller and smaller as it gets to the turbo to keep gasses moving. im using unichip to tune it. i increased the fuel pump to a walbro 190. also using a hks ssqv bov. all in all i think its a great kit. i chose it since there wasnt many turbo systems to be had for the 2zzge matrix. other companies did make them eventually but all those that have used other compnaies have had nothing but problems except for one guy who is using a haas setup.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
i have a 4WD 99 tacoma with 150,000miles on it
TRD SUPERCHARGER URD
9.5psi pully URD
318cc injectors URD
piggy back fmu URD
fuel pump URD
custom intake
downey headders
downey y pipe
magna flow cat
gibson exhaust
top speed governer bypass chip URD
wide band 02 setup URD
100hp shot of nitrous
i filled my tank got on the hiway ...when i got off the hiway i had half a tank and had driven 200miles
then i romped on it at every red light and dragraced 4 times with Nitrous... when the tank was finally empty i had averaged 20 mpg
and no i dont run lean at all

·
back in black (tacoma)!
6,238 Posts
SPROCKIT said:
i have a 4WD 99 tacoma with 150,000miles on it
TRD SUPERCHARGER URD
9.5psi pully URD
318cc injectors URD
piggy back fmu URD
fuel pump URD
custom intake
downey headders
downey y pipe
magna flow cat
gibson exhaust
top speed governer bypass chip URD
wide band 02 setup URD
100hp shot of nitrous
i filled my tank got on the hiway ...when i got off the hiway i had half a tank and had driven 200miles
then i romped on it at every red light and dragraced 4 times with Nitrous... when the tank was finally empty i had averaged 20 mpg
and no i dont run lean at all
UMMM..... very relevant, thank you.

:looney:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts