Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this forum and already have an issue. I think this is going to be hard to describe, but I will try. I have a new to me 97 4x4 V6 Ext. cab with 50000 miles and the leaf springs are S shaped pretty bad. Negative arch in front of the wheels with a positive arch in the rear. When driving on the seriously potholed roads down here I get what is kinda like a bucking but not up and down, it more of a short forward lunge and a little like wheel hop (not going fast or spinning the tires either). Anybody have any idea what I am talking about or experienced it too? I am wondering if this is a result of the worn out springs, shocks, a combination or something totally different. Would an AAL straighten out the springs temporarily? Planning on lifting it early next year, just need to get by for now. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Yes, and yes. I'd say your shocks are toast most likely, check 'em. Your springs have prob. gotten a little soft as well, AAL will stiffen you back up a bit. Maybe raise you up 1-1/2" or so. Start with some good shocks first. Spend as little as poss. now if your gonna lift it soon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Today 07:18 PMMikesDoubleCabif plannin to lift, the cost on new parts just to get by might not be worth it... you would save yourself money and heartache by taking the plunge sooner to lift and do it right from the get-go... just my opinion...I agree with this guy. You're going to have to buy a new leaf pack either way. Might as well go ahead and do it now to save yourself the money. Deaver makes a variance of leaf packs that will suit any setup you go with. They're only around $300-400 too, depending on which pack you go with. I think your problem is more in the leafs than the shocks. But if your roads are as rough as you say, it's a good possibility your shocks are worn out too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys that are still in the states dont realize how easy you've got it. It will take about a month and cost me about an extra $1500 in shipping and duty just to get it here. Then pray that all of the critical parts show up. Its the rainy season here and business is always slow because of it, thats why I need to wait. Plus I am tapped out on the car fund due to recently lifting my BJ40 (4" HFS SUA, 1.5" over stock greaseable shackles, 33x12.5x15, locker, bucket seats, stereo ....etc.......FOR SALE) Thanks for the help guys and I'll weigh my options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts