Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wonderin' this for a while...I've got an '06 Prerunner with the 4.0 and 6 spd tranny (trd offroad too if that changes things for this question)...I know the X Runner's have a 4.0 and 6 speed too...so theoretically, do they perform the same in a 1/4 mile? Or maybe the offroad truck just a hair slower since its tires aren't designed for street...I'm talkin' a straight line drag race obviously, the X would outhandle a prerunner on the road a thousand times over...just like the prerunner would own an x when it comes to desert runs.

My '99 4x4 was the 2.7 and was not exactly the quickest thing on the road...so I'm lovin' all this power I've got in the new truck...just curious I guess about how it compares to an x runner on road.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i'm not sure.... but take the off road out of the mix and try a sport. same except for the limited slip. i think the pre runners auto trans may take the x in 0-60, over that aero dynamics may play a bigger part.

·
Registered
14,485 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
The pre has a lower final drive - 3.73 compared to the X - 3.31, also improving acceleration.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I figured the tires would play such a role in it is because if I push too hard in my pre, I light 'em up through first & half of 2nd...I figured the X's tires would grab asphault a little better since they don't have such an aggressive tread. And the offroad tire is probably heavier with more rolling mass...seems like that could cost a 10th or so also...

Forgot all about wind resistance and the higher gear ratio in the rearend...I guess those would both give the X a top speed advantage, but like you said, scratchy...the 3.73's would help in acceleration. I guess the 2 trucks are more different than I thought...now I wanna go find someone with an X & race him. :)

yrffej, so your guess is that only the auto prerunners would beat an xr? Are you sayin' the pre with an auto is faster than the pre with a 6 spd? Why would that be? I've always been under the impression that a well shifted manual will always beat an auto if all else is equal...no?

·
Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
2,067 Posts
There was a test in which a v6 4.0 auto (dont know what model, pre-runner maybe?) was a tad quicker then then the xr. The point about comparing a manual with an auto (same engine) is ofcourse the driver. 1 bad shift in the manual and your gone, especially in such closely matched engines.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Bill-E-BoB said:
The reason I figured the tires would play such a role in it is because if I push too hard in my pre, I light 'em up through first & half of 2nd...I figured the X's tires would grab asphault a little better since they don't have such an aggressive tread. And the offroad tire is probably heavier with more rolling mass...seems like that could cost a 10th or so also...

.......you don't light 'em up through first and second, you light "one" up (open differential).........the x, is a much more stable street vehicle, the only way you should/could be able to beat it out of the hole is with your axle locked. there's a slight advantage to a rear locker straight line acceleration... (but i'm not recomending this)

Forgot all about wind resistance and the higher gear ratio in the rearend...I guess those would both give the X a top speed advantage, but like you said, scratchy...the 3.73's would help in acceleration. I guess the 2 trucks are more different than I thought...now I wanna go find someone with an X & race him. :)

.........true, the pre's may have a better gear ratio for a hole shot. but add in the x's low profile 18's..... 27.0" diameter vs 30.6".... those smaller tires will be easier to turn... maby a wash, i don't know the math to do to compare the actual final drive...

yrffej, so your guess is that only the auto prerunners would beat an xr? Are you sayin' the pre with an auto is faster than the pre with a 6 spd? Why would that be? I've always been under the impression that a well shifted manual will always beat an auto if all else is equal...no?
.........i don't know about "only". but, a modern auto trans, should be a faster mechanical device through the gears..... i don't think modern dragsters use a clutch? do you?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
There is more power loss in an Auto than Manual, (torque converter vs clutch pack)

The taller gears are the same with the taller tires (final drive is the same with the gear to tire ratio, hence doing the same RPM at the same speed beteen the trucks), but there is more power loss in the rotational mass.

And aero dynamics is a huge factor, as well as suspension, everytime the suspension flexes when you get on the gas is wasted h.

·
Registered
419 Posts
cahaire said:
The XR's have a 3.15 final gear ratio. Not a 3.31
My Bad....must be getting old:doah:

I made up this chart before I got my X - totally forgot it was 3.15.

Code:
                                  [B][SIZE=3]Tacoma X-runner[/SIZE][/B]             

[B]Tire Diameter[/B]             [B]27[/B]             [B]P255/45R18[/B]             

[B]Final Gear[/B]              [B]3.150[/B]             [B]RPM(shiftpoint)[/B]        [B]MPH[/B]             [B]RPM Drop[/B]                               
            [B]1st Gear  Ratio[/B]            [B]4.17[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]33.63 [/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]0[/COLOR]                               
            [B]2nd Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]2.19[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]64.04 [/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]2,888[/COLOR]                               
            [B]3rd Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1.49[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]94.13[/COLOR]              [COLOR=#ff0000]3,742[/COLOR]                               
            [B]4th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1.19[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]117.86[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,393[/COLOR]                               
            [B]5th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1[/B].[B]00[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]140.25[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,622[/COLOR]                               
            [B]6th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]0.85[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]165.00[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,675[/COLOR]
Code:
                                  [B][SIZE=3]Tacoma Pre-runner V6[/SIZE][/B]             

[B]Tire Diameter[/B]             [B]30.5[/B]             [B]P245/75R16[/B]             

[B]Final Gear[/B]             [B]3.730[/B]             [B]RPM(shiftpoint)[/B]        [B]MPH[/B]             [B]RPM Drop[/B]                               
            [B]1st Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]4.17[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]32.09 [/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]0[/COLOR]                               
            [B]2nd Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]2.19[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]61.09 [/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]2,888[/COLOR]                               
            [B]3rd Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1.49[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]89.80 [/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]3,742[/COLOR]                               
            [B]4th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1.19[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]112.43[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,393[/COLOR]                               
            [B]5th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1.00[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]133.80[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,622[/COLOR]                               
            [B]6th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]0.85[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]157.41[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,675[/COLOR]
As you can see, the pre has a slightly taller final drive than the X, but not by much.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yrffej said:
.........i don't know about "only". but, a modern auto trans, should be a faster mechanical device through the gears..... i don't think modern dragsters use a clutch? do you?
Are we talkin' like top fuel dragsters & funny cars? They don't use a clutch pedal, but its not an automatic either. They use whats called a planetary transmission...definately a whole lot quicker than an auto or a manual. Each gear has its own lever connected to an individual planetary gear, you pull the levers back 1 by 1 to engage each gear. You hit your shift point, throw the lever & you're in the next gear...if you're ever doin' a purpose built racer, thats the kind of transmission to use. But for a street car, you've always got either a clutch or a torque converter to deal with.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scratchy said:
My Bad....must be getting old:doah:

I made up this chart before I got my X - totally forgot it was 3.15.

Code:
                                  [B][SIZE=3]Tacoma X-runner[/SIZE][/B]             

[B]Tire Diameter[/B]             [B]27[/B]             [B]P255/45R18[/B]             

[B]Final Gear[/B]              [B]3.150[/B]             [B]RPM(shiftpoint)[/B]        [B]MPH[/B]             [B]RPM Drop[/B]                               
            [B]1st Gear  Ratio[/B]            [B]4.17[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]33.63 [/COLOR]            [COLOR=#ff0000]0[/COLOR]                               
            [B]2nd Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]2.19[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]64.04 [/COLOR]            [COLOR=#ff0000]2,888[/COLOR]                               
            [B]3rd Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1.49[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]94.13[/COLOR]              [COLOR=#ff0000]3,742[/COLOR]                               
            [B]4th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1.19[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]117.86[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,393[/COLOR]                               
            [B]5th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1[/B].[B]00[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]140.25[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,622[/COLOR]                               
            [B]6th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]0.85[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]165.00[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,675[/COLOR]
Code:
                                  [B][SIZE=3]Tacoma Pre-runner V6[/SIZE][/B]             

[B]Tire Diameter[/B]             [B]30.5[/B]             [B]P245/75R16[/B]             

[B]Final Gear[/B]             [B]3.730[/B]             [B]RPM(shiftpoint)[/B]        [B]MPH[/B]             [B]RPM Drop[/B]                               
            [B]1st Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]4.17[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]32.09 [/COLOR]            [COLOR=#ff0000]0[/COLOR]                               
            [B]2nd Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]2.19[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]61.09 [/COLOR]            [COLOR=#ff0000]2,888[/COLOR]                               
            [B]3rd Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1.49[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]89.80 [/COLOR]            [COLOR=#ff0000]3,742[/COLOR]                               
            [B]4th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1.19[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]112.43[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,393[/COLOR]                               
            [B]5th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]1.00[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]133.80[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,622[/COLOR]                               
            [B]6th Gear Ratio[/B]             [B]0.85[/B]             5,500             [COLOR=#ff0000]157.41[/COLOR]             [COLOR=#ff0000]4,675[/COLOR]
As you can see, the pre has a slightly taller final drive than the X, but not by much.
Wow, thats a pretty cool chart...looks like the XR's top end would take over right about at the end of a 1/4 mile track, so it'd probably make for a pretty good race.

For anyone who's curious, a prerunner can smoke a late model Eclipse...found that out on the way to lunch today. :headbang: Got my first kill...I'm not much of a street racer, so I doubt there will be too many more to follow, but I was in a pissy mood, & pulled up next to this eclipse with a body kit & rims & an exhaust system at a light...not sure if he did any real engine work so I figured he might blow my doors off, but at the very least I figured it'd be a good chance to releive some stress. Anyway, he got a better jump because I smoked the tires in 1st (doh!) and as soon as my tires grabbed I flew right past him & he never caught up...it was great.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Bill-E-BoB said:
Are we talkin' like top fuel dragsters & funny cars? They don't use a clutch pedal, but its not an automatic either. They use whats called a planetary transmission...definately a whole lot quicker than an auto or a manual. Each gear has its own lever connected to an individual planetary gear, you pull the levers back 1 by 1 to engage each gear. You hit your shift point, throw the lever & you're in the next gear...if you're ever doin' a purpose built racer, thats the kind of transmission to use. But for a street car, you've always got either a clutch or a torque converter to deal with.
top fuel cars are direct drive. ONE gear. and reverse. its all done using one big clutch. as the car goes down the track the clutch grabs harder.

Pro stock cars launch with a clutch and shift with no clutch.

·
Tacorpulent HP
2,306 Posts
im pretty sure i read that the best posted 0-60 for an Xrunner was 6.9 seconds and the best for a prerunner was 7.3 seconds, both stock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was challenged at the Vegas Street Races by a TRD off road 06 tacoma...my x-runner is bone stock and I stayed about about a half a car length infront of him the whole run.

·
Registered
321 Posts
djcreeper said:
I stayed about about a half a car length infront of him the whole run.
I'm suprised that that the xrunner did'nt dust the the offroad tacoma completely considering the low riding stiff susp. and all those sporty skirts and airdam's , why toyota did'n't give it a V8 or SC:selfbonk:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
IndigoTaco said:
I'm suprised that that the xrunner did'nt dust the the offroad tacoma completely considering the low riding stiff susp. and all those sporty skirts and airdam's , why toyota did'n't give it a V8 or SC:selfbonk:

hahhahhahah TRD is supposed to come out with one, sc that is, well they said they were, and that was back in dec of 04, still no sc

no surprise:rolleyes:

·
Registered
321 Posts
rx-runner said:
hahhahhahah TRD is supposed to come out with one, sc that is, well they said they were, and that was back in dec of 04, still no sc

no surprise:rolleyes:
I know this off topic but did'nt chevy have a GMC CYCLONE PICK UP
which was factory supercharged and intercooled 15 years ago , Toyota
better get its butt in gear if there going to market the xrunner as performance
equal to the nissan Z350 (which I read in motorweek) :looney: which isn't a real performance car anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts