Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with flipping the OEM ball joints, I would guess its the lower ones that you would do? What about shocks I guess with the bit of difference you should want a different shock for the elevation change. Any cheap mods like this would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
That's right... you don't change the geometrics of the shocks or springs when you flip the ball joints, so the OEM shocks work just fine. You can use the stock upper control arms to do all this... the only thing the DJM kit really changes is the upper arm that helps the camber alignment.

·
Registered
232 Posts
sup guys...i lowered my taco up front using 3" chassis tech lowering springs. i wanna go an inch lower. How much lower would flipping the joints drop my truck if i kept the 3" springs in there? i have a set of belltech 2" lowering springs that i used before but took out because my truck wasn't sitting low enough cuz they only lowered my truck 1.5"...it was meant for the ext. cabs. If i was to put those back in...after flipping the ball joints, how low would i sit? i don't wanna sit too low because i don't have bags to adjust the height. i've heard about the flipping the ball joints method but i have NO CLUE how to go about doing it. IF ANYONE can tell me STEP BY STEP how to do it...i'd REALLY appreciate it. STEP BY STEP PICS would be even better...THANKS GUYS. Later.

·
Registered
282 Posts
flipping joints n using 1.5" drop springs will probably come out to the same amount of drop as you have now. Maybe it's just me but using stock arms n lowering springs + flipping ball joints, looks like it'd be givin your suspension alot of stress. I'd use a control arm + lowering spring if your gonna do it that way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The lower ball joint flip is supposed to drop the front 3". That's all DJM does to drop the front on their 3/3 & 3/4 kits. The upper control arm they supply, is just supposed to help relocate the upper ball joint, so that the correct camber can be maintained, and the upper ball joint doesn't get too stressed by being at an angle it wasn't designed for. So, with the combination of ball joint flip, and 3" springs, you should see a 6" drop....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Go to the DJM instuctions in the tech area here and it will show you how to flip the ball joints. I am guessing it will align properly since Mike Finnegans taco has both bottom and top ball joints flipped and you can hardly tell it has negetive camber. The thing about flipping the top ball joint is you need to reinforce the a-arm underneath the ball joint , or the a - arm will colapse. If you put bags on , flipping the lower ball joint is a must to get it to lay frame , and i think you may have to notch for the lower control arm , but not much.

See Ya Dirk

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
I have flipped my upper and lower ball joints with stock A arms. I have a little negative camber, but the toe in/out is fine. No extra support on the A arms. It's been like this for about 2 yrs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just flipped my lower ball joints, and i have massive negative camber. I am not to worried about tho , because i will be baggin it soon , and would be a waste of money to get it aligned now. I am guessin if i do the top ball joint , it will go even lower , and more negative camber? The hardest part about doing this is that , 2 bolts are pressed into the ball joint bracket and are bitch to remove. We had to hit them with a sledge to get them out.Flip the bolts , and clearence the sway bar bracket, it just takes time. It willl take a day to do this if you have a press to knock out those two bolts(or slegde them out), and you know what the hell you are doing.

See Ya Dirk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts