Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the 2004, can i change the steering wheel? I noticed that the air bag and cruise control button/lever is located there... can I change it and not have to alter my cruise control? or is there any way around it.... thanks

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,863 Posts
Is your cruise control factory option or aftermarket? Is your cruise control stuff mounted on the steering wheel itself? ... :thinking:

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,863 Posts
More specifically - do you have the factory cruise control with the stalk installed on the lower port / left side of the lower steering column cover piece (as indicated in the attachment)? ....

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,863 Posts
You can change out your 2004 OEM steering wheel to any of a variety of aftermarket units.

You'll need to use an adapter / hub suited for the wheel mounting pattern you pick. There are multiple aftermarket mounting patterns on the wheel side, each typically based on one or another manufacturer's standard (e.g., MOMO, Lecarra, Grant).

A PreTaco (1989 - 1995) hub adapter will fit a 1995.5 - 2004 Taco (and no one actually lists an adapter for the 1995.5+ Tacomas due to liability issues).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on the steering wheel hub, the cruise control arm is located n the right side of the steering wheel....

hey enola gaia, where can i get the hub adapter.... also, any suggestions as to which steering wheel recommended? thanks

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,739 Posts
Enola Gaia said:
More specifically - do you have the factory cruise control with the stalk installed on the lower port / left side of the lower steering column cover piece (as indicated in the attachment)? ....
Mine is on the passengers side of the wheel..

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,863 Posts
xxxsmithersxxx said:
on the steering wheel hub, the cruise control arm is located n the right side of the steering wheel....
That's weird ... The pic I posted above is from the 2001 (your generation) Toyota factory installation guide for the cruise control ... :thinking:

xxxsmithersxxx said:
hey enola gaia, where can i get the hub adapter.... also, any suggestions as to which steering wheel recommended? thanks
Adapters are typically sold by vendors and / or wheel manufacturers. If you're looking for a performance-style wheel (as opposed to billet 'bling') the biggest names are Sparco, OMP, and MOMO - all of whom use MOMO format adapters.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,863 Posts
xxxsmithersxxx said:
the black one is nice.... do i get this through trd or at my local toyota store
Neither ... The TRD steering wheels are JDM issue, and have to be imported.

A while back (2005?) someone reported getting one through Carson Toyota in SoCal ...

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
xxxsmithersxxx said:
the black one is nice.... do i get this through trd or at my local Toyota store
eBay there from japan top quality and priced cheaper than a factory Tacoma wheel, EBay search (trd steering wheel) they are the same bolt pattern, now a Lexus i3 sport car, i think that's the name, but in japan its just a Toyota not a Lexus wheel from japan is very nice with a airbag

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,863 Posts
The JDM TRD wheels were issued in 3 'types' (I think they were labeled A, B, and C, or something like that ...). We never did determine which type is the one that needs to be used for a Tacoma ...

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Enola Gaia said:
The JDM TRD wheels were issued in 3 'types' (I think they were labeled A, B, and C, or something like that ...). We never did determine which type is the one that needs to be used for a Tacoma ...
you know a lota about toyotas, are you a grand master ase ?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
taco1616 said:
here is mine with the factory cruise relocated.
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67025
weare did you get you gauge pods ? i got the trd one but i have that dam grabe Handel and went to Sherwin williams and had a piece from my interior color matched in a quart of oil base paint and added a little mineral spirits and the paint all laid down and after two coats it looks factory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts